Re: Filing Cabinets That Use Electronic Access?

http://www.filingtoday.com/Fireproof_Fire-King_Vertical_Files_Cabinet_1-Hour_Rated.html

> [...]
> once it was unlocked. Or so it re-locked each time the drawers were
> closed.
>
> Anyway it would be easy to find a "mechanical type" to do the
> mechanical parts for you. Look for an older guy. If all else fails, go
> to your local university and find a mechanical engineering student.
> They are all broke and will work cheap. Then need the money! And just
> a few hundred dollars will make them happy or pay by the hour.
>
> Also "mechanical types" and "electrical types" are different breeds!
> Mechanical people do not understand electrical stuff and electrical
> people are not so good at mechanical stuff. You need to get two
> separate people for this.
>
> Anyway the only question remaining is how does the "output" of a card
> access system work? What is the output voltage? 12 volts DC? How much
> amperage can it provide? 1 amp? How many different outputs can it
> operate? (different doors it is designed to open? In your case, how
> many filing cabinets do you have? Does the card access system have
> that many different outputs?)
>
> Then how does the card access system output work? (Like it was opening
> a door.) Does it provide 12 volts for say 4 seconds, then power off?
> Can this be changed to longer shorter in settings or is that time
> fixed?
>
> And note that you would NOT want the actuator to remain powered for
> the full time the cabinet is open! Like powered for 8 hours. Solenoids
> / actuators get hot when powered on for a long time. They can burn
> out. Best is briefly on for a few seconds each time something is
> opened.
>
> Then if the above is how a card access system works, next would come
> the type of solenoid you would want. Some will spring forward when
> power is applied, then return when power is removed. Others will
> spring forward when power is applied, then stay then when power is
> removed. Then you need to reverse power to move it the opposite
> direction.
>
> So you would need a solenoid / actuator which would work along with
> the output of your card access system.
>
> A device which could work is the electric door lock actuator on cars.
> Some of these work by moving one direction when power is applied, then
> it stays there. And it will move the opposite direction when power is
> reversed. You can get these cheap from automotive wrecking yards if
> you just want to play with one. They are located in the door of the
> car and 12 volts DC (car battery) operates them of course.
>
> Or search google.com for solenoid. Or for actuator.
>
> People who play / work on robots are quite familiar with solenoids and
> actuators. Again a university electrical engineering department would
> provide a host of people who would know all about this.
>
> Before you do anything, remove the bottom drawer from one of your
> filing cabinets and see if there is room below the drawer for an

While this would be a fun project for someone, I really did not want to do
an R&D project.     R&D projects are both very expensive and also have a
very high chance of failure.   Further, without a lot of testing I would
expect reliability problems.    It's just not the path I wanted to go.