Re: Filing Cabinets That Use Electronic Access?

On Oct 1, 2:18=A0pm, "W" <persistent...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Bill" <billnomailnosp...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > "W" =A0wrote in message
> > > So let me ask does *any* third party make an office filing cabinet
> > > that has
> > > a solinoid activated locking bar that we could wire into?
>
> > There are electronic combination locking vertical filing cabinets.
> > Note these tend to be higher security cabinets. I just looked at the
> > prices...
>
> > $2,229.00 for cabinet.
> > $537.00 for add-on electronic combination lock
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> > $2766.00 =A0Total, but shipping probably extra.
>
> http://www.filingtoday.com/Fireproof_Fire-King_Vertical_Files_Cabinet...
>

> > (For more search for filing cabinet combination lock.)
>
> > Note: The way these may work is that the top drawer only has this lock
> > on it. You enter the combination, then can open the top drawer. Then
> > you could open the lower drawers. So I think you need to open the top
> > drawer a bit in order to be able to open the lower drawers? You would
> > need to verify that.
>
> > Anyway that would have a drawback as to dependability so far as what
> > you want to do. A flexible cord would need to be wired to the top
> > drawer. Each time the drawer was opened it would stretch the cord.
> > That cord might last many years, but eventually it would fail and need
> > to be replaced.
>
> > And with such an electronic combination lock, you would pretty much
> > need to buy one, then take it apart to see if it could be modified so
> > just the lock portion could be wired to you card access system. Most
> > probably it could, however it might not be possible to modify it.
> > Pretty expensive way to find out if you could use a product or not!
>
> > If you already owned these cabinets, then that would be another
> > matter.
>
> > I think it would be much less expensive to have a custom locking
> > mechanism made for your existing filing cabinets.
>
> > I think this could be done by placing an electric solenoid / actuator
> > below the lowest drawer. Then the wiring to this would not need to
> > move as the actuator would be bolted to the cabinet and not a drawer.
> > Then no batteries needed as power for the actuator would come from the
> > wire / card access system.
>
> > I think the best way to approach this would be to get an electric
> > solenoid / actuator, THEN find a "mechanical type" who could design
> > rods / bars / levers, etc. which would connect the actuator to your
> > existing filing cabinet locking bar from below. That type of person
> > you would find at a machine shop. If you could take a filing cabinet
> > to this person, a soleonid / actuator, a battery to operate the
> > solenoid, and then tell the person how you connect the actuator wires
> > to the solenoid to get it to lock / unlock, then he could make and
> > install the interconnecting mechanism to do the rest.
>
> > It takes a LOT of pressure to move the locking bar on some filing
> [...]

I don't think it would take more than a couple of days actual work on
the cabinet to get this to work. The hardest thing would be finding
the proper parts to do the job. The waiting time for parts delivery
would take the most amount of time. Hmmmm .... maybe a few more days
combining the solinoid and access reader in a chassis. (see below)

One would just have to determine the distance the locking bar had to
travel and the amount of weight the solinoid would have to move. Order
a solinoid with those spec's that would fit in the space allowed ( by
the way, if it couldn't fit below the bottom drawer it could always go
in a metal chassis mounted to the top of the file cabinet .... in
fact, that would be my prefered placement.in a retrofit project like
this) I think it would be a pretty easy task to provide a link between
the solinoid and the locking bar from the top of the cabinet. If
you've ever used a Hon manual locking cabinet, when you unlock it, the
button in which the key cylinder is contained pops out from the
cabinet. When you want to lock it again, you just push the button back
in. That's all the pressure it takes to move the bar back to the
locked position. Each file cabinet could have the card reader and
solinoid in the metal chassis on top of each cabinet. The solinoid
would activate once for a few seconds, moving the locking bar while a
drawer was pulled out. When the solinoid de-activated , the rest of
the drawers would still be locked. When the person was done with their
filing, just pushing the opened drawer back in would mechanically
momentarily move the locking bar and then that drawer would be locked
again.

If this were being designed for a marketable product, I would put the
mechanism on the inside rear or side of the the cabinet with just a
card reader on the top of the cabinet.

I don't think it's as complicated as you might see it. I actually
think that the expense of doing this part would be less than the card
access system.

I don't have any locking cabinets but I've "fixed" them for other
people and they're not all the complicated nor are they actually very
secure. If it's actually "security" that you're looking for ..... this
is not going to provide it. If it's simply "control" and keeping track
of who uses the file cabinets and when, then this would do it, using
the proper access control system.

The more I think about it .... I'm thinking I should go out and buy a
locking cabinet, make this thing work and become a millionaire. .... I
can see it all now ..... JIM's, ACCESS CONTROL CABINETS & ASSO.. LLC.

It'll be traded on Wall Street as JACASSOL.! adding to a long line of
people on Wall Street with similar monikers.