Re: Filing Cabinets That Use Electronic Access?

"W" <persistentone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> "Bill" <billnomailnospamx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "W"  wrote in message
>> > So let me ask does *any* third party make an office filing cabinet
>> > that has
>> > a solinoid activated locking bar that we could wire into?
>> >

>> There are electronic combination locking vertical filing cabinets.
>> Note these tend to be higher security cabinets. I just looked at the
>> prices...
>>
>> $2,229.00 for cabinet.
>> $537.00 for add-on electronic combination lock
>> =======
>> $2766.00  Total, but shipping probably extra.
>>

> http://www.filingtoday.com/Fireproof_Fire-King_Vertical_Files_Cabinet_1-Hour_Rated.html
>>
>> (For more search for filing cabinet combination lock.)
>>
>> Note: The way these may work is that the top drawer only has this lock
>> on it. You enter the combination, then can open the top drawer. Then
>> you could open the lower drawers. So I think you need to open the top
>> drawer a bit in order to be able to open the lower drawers? You would
>> need to verify that.
>>
>> Anyway that would have a drawback as to dependability so far as what
>> you want to do. A flexible cord would need to be wired to the top
>> drawer. Each time the drawer was opened it would stretch the cord.
>> That cord might last many years, but eventually it would fail and need
>> to be replaced.
>>
>> And with such an electronic combination lock, you would pretty much
>> need to buy one, then take it apart to see if it could be modified so
>> just the lock portion could be wired to you card access system. Most
>> probably it could, however it might not be possible to modify it.
>> Pretty expensive way to find out if you could use a product or not!
>>
>> If you already owned these cabinets, then that would be another
>> matter.
>>
>> I think it would be much less expensive to have a custom locking
>> mechanism made for your existing filing cabinets.
>>
>> I think this could be done by placing an electric solenoid / actuator
>> below the lowest drawer. Then the wiring to this would not need to
>> move as the actuator would be bolted to the cabinet and not a drawer.
>> Then no batteries needed as power for the actuator would come from the
>> wire / card access system.
>>
>> I think the best way to approach this would be to get an electric
>> solenoid / actuator, THEN find a "mechanical type" who could design
>> rods / bars / levers, etc. which would connect the actuator to your
>> existing filing cabinet locking bar from below. That type of person
>> you would find at a machine shop. If you could take a filing cabinet
>> to this person, a soleonid / actuator, a battery to operate the
>> solenoid, and then tell the person how you connect the actuator wires
>> to the solenoid to get it to lock / unlock, then he could make and
>> install the interconnecting mechanism to do the rest.
>>
>> It takes a LOT of pressure to move the locking bar on some filing
> [...]

LOL

Your choices are as follows.

1)   Find a file cabinet that already has a card access system built into
the unit.

2)   Find a file cabinet that can have a proper system designed and
retrofitted.

3)   Forget the project and go on with what ever security controls you are
presently using.

Now since #1 has been proven to be non-existent and #2 has just been shot
down by you as being too expensive then I would guess that #3 is your only
option.

Should you change your mind and would like to consider #2 my offer still
stands.  May not be as difficult as you might perceive.  R&D can be involved
or just a matter of looking at the details of the project and make a
determination in a few minutes.  I only used the term it indicate that what
you desired was not going to be like screwing in a light bulb.  This hole
thing comes down to what amount of dollars are you willing to invest into a
finished project that will provide the desired end result.  It really
depends on you and your perception of what is needed.

Les