Re: Filing Cabinets That Use Electronic Access?

So let me ask does *any* third party make an office filing cabinet that has
a solinoid activated locking bar that we could wire into?

I asked multiple alarm companies and locksmiths to give me estimates on how
much it would cost to do this and no one could even figure out how to do it.

I also get the feeling that doing this in a custom way be hugely expensive.

On Sep 29, 4:54 am, "W" <persistent...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been looking for years for any vendor that makes a high quality
> office filing cabinet that allows access by a programmable passcard
system.
> Keyed access as a backup is fine.
>
> I want this because keys get lost, and you end up with so many keys for so
> many cabinets that it becomes hard to track them all.
>
> As obvious as this application is, I have looked for years for this and
> cannot find it. I have tried various locksmiths and asked them to
> retrofit Hon brand lateral cabinets, but all of them claim they don't know
> how to do it and the locks are hard to match to the cabinet.
>
> I want to check back once a year to see if any manufacturer has decided to
> enter the 21st century yet. Does any manufacturer have a unit close to
> what I describe?
>
> --

Door access control systems (more and less secure and some pretty
inexpensive)  that work with cards are readily available. They work by
activating electric door strikes or large magnetic locks. The only
thing that is not available for your project off the shelf, is the
means to add a controled lock to the filing cabinet. Filing cabinets
with keylocks control a bar that rides along side of the drawers that
is lifted when you turn the key. Since it seems that there is nothing
on the market as far as controlled access file cabinets and you're
intent on doing this, all you would need, is to find someone who would
be willing to modify and add a solinoid on the filing cabinet to
activate the locking bar on the file drawers. The access control
system could be as simple or as complicated as you wanted to invest
in.  By the way, the locking bars on the Hon cabinets is not very
secure.