Re: Filing Cabinets That Use Electronic Access?

"ABLE1" <royboynospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "W" <persistentone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Jim, we don't want padlocks and we don't want electronic locks where a
> > single set of digits are typed in to enter.   It's hard to secure keys
and
> > codes.
> >
> > We do want a true passcard system where each employee carries a card
with
> > a unique ID embedded on it, and a central computer system is programmed
> > say which locks that unique ID is allowed to open.
> >
> > If the employee's card is lost or stolen, you can instantly invalidate
it.

> > --
> >

> Let me understand this a little better.
>
> You want to have a $129 - $199 file cabinet protected by a $500 or more
card
> access system to stop a would be individual from accessing the contents of
> said file cabinet to potentially gain knowledge of what???
>
> With out spending the time on a no return on investment brain phart, just
> place all of your inexpensive file cabinets with the very important stuff
> inside in a secure room with one steel door and put the card access
control
> on that door and you are done.
>
> As for this statement.
> > If the employee's card is lost or stolen, you can instantly invalidate
it.

> That is not possible.  From the time that the card is REALIZED by the
person
> that can invalidate the card can it be disabled.  Otherwise it will be
> anywhere from minutes to days or more before anyone actually knows that
the
> card is either lost or stolen.
>
> Life can be much easier and with less stress when practical thoughts are
> implemented.

Life can be easier when the reality matches the simple solution, but in this
case it does not.

Let's consider what your solution entails.   For accounting alone, we have
these classifications of files, each with a different list of personnel who
has access:

- payroll
- current year income and expenses and assets
- historical filings
- legal contracts

So in your solution I need to dedicate four private offices to holding four
office filing cabinets?    We only have six private offices in the entire
space, and I have to dedicate four of them to holding individual office
cabinets?

Yeah, this is plenty simple for the implementer.    For everyone who works
here that solution would look wacky.    We basically turn the company's
space utilization plan upside down because it makes the alarm guy's job
easy.   Great.

And I haven't even started to discuss the requirements for warehouse, which
are far more complex and extensive than the above, and simply cannot be
implemented with the "separate rooms" concept easily.

I'm willing to accept that no office filing cabinet can be economically
retrofitted to use a solenoid locking system.    That's a shame if true but
that is life.