Re: NetTalk Duo VoIP

On Mar 24, 10:19=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 10:02=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Did you do the port-forwarding in your router, and set the device's I=
P to the
> > > DMZ? =A0I read the manual and that seemed important.
>
> > > Do you have to buy from the website, or are they in stores?
>
> > RHC: No, I didn't have to do a damn thing...just get the phone number
> > while registering and then plug it in. There are a number of
> > compatible and NON compatible routers up on the website; mine wasn't
> > listed, but it worked plug and play. I did notice that my router
> > assigned a local network IP address automatically from the DHCP pool
> > though, which is normal for any network attached device.
>
> > In Canada, we can ONLY buy through Amazon.ca. It's $79. While the US
> > based website says $30 a year, for some reason it's $40 a year up here
> > (maybe $10 for the Canadian number - not uncommon with VoIP services
> > in Canada)
>
> > It specifically says this product does NOT work with alarms;however,
> > Jim Rojas says it does. I will trial it for a month and let you know.
>
> I would imagine that they just don't want the liability of saying that
> is does work with alarms.
>
> The one down side I can see about this device is that in a residence,
> you've got to be able to get a network wire to the alarm panel or a
> telephone wire to where the router is. That could be quite a chore
> considering that the modems usually wind up under a desk someplace on
> the second floor in a bedroom or office. Say you go with a wireless
> alarm installation, now you've got to get this wire all the way up to
> the attic and down a wall to the modem.
>
> I wonder if it'll work with somones wireless link.

RHC: Yeah, I've thought about that wiring problem too. Sometimes you
can use the existing house wiring to feed back down to the basement.
In these cases, I suggest the client buy Panasonic phone wireless
systems, set the base station up in the basement where the Bell comes
in or the Rogers modem usually is, and then use the other three
wireless phones for around the house. There are going to be problem
situations though, which I review during the initial looksee during
the sales call.

If I end up using this Nettalk Duo device, it's definately going to
take some "creative wiring" at times....:))