Re: NetTalk Duo VoIP

On Mar 24, 10:02=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 8:35=A0pm, G. Morgan <usenet_ab...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >RHC: I just hooked up the Nettalk Duo device, registered it and got my
> > >new 613 local calling number. Amazing !!! This has got to be the
> > >easiest and slickest device that's come along in a long time. I'll let
> > >you know how it works with the alarm. This is a "no brainer" to set
> > >up....truly plug and play
>
> > Did you do the port-forwarding in your router, and set the device's IP =
to the
> > DMZ? =A0I read the manual and that seemed important.
>
> > Do you have to buy from the website, or are they in stores?
>
> RHC: No, I didn't have to do a damn thing...just get the phone number
> while registering and then plug it in. There are a number of
> compatible and NON compatible routers up on the website; mine wasn't
> listed, but it worked plug and play. I did notice that my router
> assigned a local network IP address automatically from the DHCP pool
> though, which is normal for any network attached device.
>
> In Canada, we can ONLY buy through Amazon.ca. It's $79. While the US
> based website says $30 a year, for some reason it's $40 a year up here
> (maybe $10 for the Canadian number - not uncommon with VoIP services
> in Canada)
>
> It specifically says this product does NOT work with alarms;however,
> Jim Rojas says it does. I will trial it for a month and let you know.

I would imagine that they just don't want the liability of saying that
is does work with alarms.

The one down side I can see about this device is that in a residence,
you've got to be able to get a network wire to the alarm panel or a
telephone wire to where the router is. That could be quite a chore
considering that the modems usually wind up under a desk someplace on
the second floor in a bedroom or office. Say you go with a wireless
alarm installation, now you've got to get this wire all the way up to
the attic and down a wall to the modem.

I wonder if it'll work with somones wireless link.