Re: NetTalk Duo VoIP

On 3/23/2011 12:28 PM, tourman wrote:
> On Mar 23, 11:14 am, Jim Rojas<jro...@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> Even POTS lines has its problems. But compared to MJ, it is 10 times
>> better. Signals to CS work just fine. It is all depending on the
>> customers bandwidth. I recommend using broadband...I haven't tested it
>> with DSL.
>>
>> The unit has a light on it which indicates status. Yellow offline, green
>> good. When you power cycle the unit, it rings the house phone once to
>> let you know its working.
>>
>> You do have to add the router port forwarding strings in order to get
>> good reliable service.
>>
>> Jim Rojas
>> Technical Manuals Online!http://www.tech-man.com
>> 8002 Cornwall Lane
>> Tampa, FL 33615-4604
>> 813-884-6335
>>
>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---
>
> RHC: Thanks, as we discussed this morning by phone, in Canada you need
> to order the unit from www.amazon.ca to purchase it. I intend to set
> it up on my own home alarm and trial it for awhile (daily tests etc).
> If it works out, it will be a decent product for use by customers who
> have abandoned their land line, and their alarm monitoring.
>
> Not sure what you mean by port forwarding being necessary, but I'll
> work that out in good time
>
> Thanks Jim

Why?  I don't know who else has one, but my CS sells their own IP
reporting module.  Power it off the panel, pulls a local IP off the DHCP
table, and begins pinging the CS server right away.  Pings every few
minutes.  If no DHCP table or anything funny you can set a static local
IP with a patch cable and a terminal program.  Translates conventional
reporting to transmit over the IP network.  No reprogramming even needed
in most cases.  I know it works fine with CID.  I don't know if it will
work with pulse format or not.  Only problem with it is the price.  At
$180 most customers get a little huffy about it, but its as reliable as
their internet connection and no relying on needing enough bandwidth for
voice to work.  The module handles the voice frequency stuff on board.
Only trouble I had was on a site that used a proxy server to connect tot
he internet.  Had the IT nerd on site create a direct path for me.

You can not download over it though.