Re: NetTalk Duo VoIP

On Mar 23, 5:30=A0pm, Bob La Londe <n...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/23/2011 12:28 PM, tourman wrote:
>

> > On Mar 23, 11:14 am, Jim Rojas<jro...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> =A0wrote:
> >> Even POTS lines has its problems. But compared to MJ, it is 10 times
> >> better. Signals to CS work just fine. It is all depending on the
> >> customers bandwidth. I recommend using broadband...I haven't tested it
> >> with DSL.
>
> >> The unit has a light on it which indicates status. Yellow offline, gre=
en
> >> good. When you power cycle the unit, it rings the house phone once to
> >> let you know its working.
>
> >> You do have to add the router port forwarding strings in order to get
> >> good reliable service.
>
> >> Jim Rojas
> >> Technical Manuals Online!http://www.tech-man.com
> >> 8002 Cornwall Lane
> >> Tampa, FL 33615-4604
> >> 813-884-6335
>
> >> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---
>
> > RHC: Thanks, as we discussed this morning by phone, in Canada you need
> > to order the unit fromwww.amazon.cato purchase it. I intend to set
> > it up on my own home alarm and trial it for awhile (daily tests etc).
> > If it works out, it will be a decent product for use by customers who
> > have abandoned their land line, and their alarm monitoring.
>
> > Not sure what you mean by port forwarding being necessary, but I'll
> > work that out in good time
>
> > Thanks Jim
>
> Why? =A0I don't know who else has one, but my CS sells their own IP
> reporting module. =A0Power it off the panel, pulls a local IP off the DHC=
> table, and begins pinging the CS server right away. =A0Pings every few
> minutes. =A0If no DHCP table or anything funny you can set a static local
> IP with a patch cable and a terminal program. =A0Translates conventional
> reporting to transmit over the IP network. =A0No reprogramming even neede=
> in most cases. =A0I know it works fine with CID. =A0I don't know if it wi=
ll
> work with pulse format or not. =A0Only problem with it is the price. =A0A=
> $180 most customers get a little huffy about it, but its as reliable as
> their internet connection and no relying on needing enough bandwidth for
> voice to work. =A0The module handles the voice frequency stuff on board.
> Only trouble I had was on a site that used a proxy server to connect tot
> he internet. =A0Had the IT nerd on site create a direct path for me.
>
> You can not download over it though.

RHC: Bob, are you referring to something like the DSC T Link IP
modules. I am told that the only one that works properly is the higher
end one that sell for about $300. I bought one and am trialing it at
my son's home on his alarm system. Apparently, the cheaper DSC ones
aren't much good.

What specific model commercial device are you referring to ?