Re: Opinions on backup reporting devices

On Jul 14, 8:35=A0pm, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 9:05=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > It depends on how you set up the panel, you can have redundant or
> > > backup reporting with Honeywell panels and AlarmNet cell/IP devices,
> > > with TelGuard and Uplink you are limited to either cell primary or
> > > backup.
>
> > > What cell units are you specifically talking about?
>
> > The device that comes to mind is the DSC units. But there are others
> > that do the same thing.
>
> > It's redundant but you can't get CID, only single digit reporting and
> > if I remember right, you have to have individual triggers for each
> > type of signal sent and I think there's a maximum of 3. ( Since my
> > first bad experience I haven't tried it since, so they may be
> > different now)
>
> I don't know where you get your info but they all can do CID
>
> Telular does dialer capture, supports and sends 4x2, CID, SIA, and
> Radionics Modem as backup or primary
> Uplink does dialer capture, supports 4x2, CID and SIA and Radionics
> Modem backup or primary
> DSC does dialer capture or keybus connection, supports CID primary
> (might be backup too, I forgot)
> AlarmNet does dialer capture or keybus connection, supports CID backup
> or primary
>
> You may be thinking of the old stuff?-

Maybe I am.

But .... you're saying that these devices will send these signals if
used as primary or back up . And I'm saying that, assuming the
telephone line is primary and the radio is back up ..... I want both
to transmit every time there's a signal sent to central. If you do use
the radio for back up with redundant reporting, you can't get them to
transmitt CID simultaneously, so your only choice is to use bell
output or relay trip to trigger the radio, resulting in only a single
CID code, a single digit or perhaps a single 4/2 output on the backup,
for any given alarm signal..

Here .... let me give you a fer-instance of what happened. With the
"new lower standard" for the use of backup, (which only requires the
backup to work if the land line doesn't) The other day I got a call
from my customer that her alarm went off in the middle of the night.
She told me the bedroom windows showed open. I went to the home to do
a service call, and just to make sure, I called central to verify
which zone is was. They said they couldn't tell me because it only
came in on the backup radio. I asked them to look at the previous
alarm signal. They said that also only came in on the back up radio. I
asked why I wasn't notified that the land line wasn't working. They
said that usually no one wants to know, besides they don't have it in
their program. I sent signals from the panel and it got through to
central on the landline so I don't know what the problem was. There
was no comm fail or tel line fault in the panel memory.
As far as the problem goes, I don't know what caused it at this
point .......I'm still working on it.  However.....

Now .... as I'm typing this, I'm wondering if it's just the centrals
lack of notification policy or are the monitoring programs not set up
to provide this information.  So .... I'll ask you ..... do you have
installers who send redundant signals to your central? If so,  do you
notify your alarm companys if only one technology reports an alarm
signal?  How do you know if the "radio" signal you're getting is
primary or backup? Is there a way in the central station program to
know this information and take action on it? That is .... even if the
reporting is Not redundant and only the radio reports, what do you do?