Re: Interesting

On Dec 24, 11:33=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 11:00=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > RHC: Right on the money ! Also there is a large group of people who
> > > don't research anything and simply buy into the latest BS on TV.
> > > Alarmforce customers fit that bill to a tee ! Every time I see their
> > > ads, I want to upchuck. But such is life; there will always be a
> > > significant minority of people who make bad choices, even when given
> > > the option to spend a bit more and get a LOT more. You've got to
> > > wonder why they believe that any company can do the works for $25
> > > monthly,no equipment costs.....hell, if that was so, don't they think
> > > that everyone would be doing it ??????

> > > RHC: Yeah, one of the reasons I've pretty much stopped doing
> > > takeovers. The amount of shoddy quality installation work out there i=
> > > proportionally large, and growing. When people ask me why I refuse
> > > their requests when everyone else is fighting for their business, I
> > > simply ask them...why would I want to take over responsibility for a
> > > crappy, problem plagued system for a few bucks a month ?? They they
> > > usually get it. Too bad some of the alarm companies never do...it's
> > > all about money
>
> > > It doesn't bother me now like it used to when I first started in this
> > > business. A fool and their money are soon parted ! I give them the
> > > information; they have the choice to take it or not. So be it....don'=
> > > lose any sleep over it !
>
> > I've got one coming up after the holidays.
>
> > The daughter and new son in law of a customer I've had for over 25
> > years just moved into a house with a previously installed alarm
> > system. It's got an ADT system using a Honeywell panel. I did a brief
> > survey and determined that there had been another system installed,
> > probably about 15 to 20 years prior to the ADT system, that ADT added
> > on to. The double hung windows have the double spring loaded contacts
> > with glass shock sensors on both top and bottom. These are just
> > trouble in the making without even thinking about it. The main thing I
> > noticed however is that some of the windows have wireless transmitters
> > on them as well as the double take-off's. I'm thinking that these
> > windows have wiring problems and ADT just put transmitters on them
> > rather than trouble shoot the problem.
>
> > Anyway, I told them ( by the way, they're both doctors) that I'd have
> > to charge them $75.00 an hour for a maximum of four hours to do a
> > detailed survey of the home and wiring to determine how much it was
> > going to cost to upgrade the system. They accepted that. So, we're
> > gonna see exactly what's going on and find out how far they're willing
> > to go to make it good. Huge house. Got to be 15K sq ft. Probably a $3k
> > job if they go the limit. They also want some audio and TV work
> > done .... so ...... add another minimum$1K or maybe more ...
> > so ....... here we go, into the new year with a bang.
>
> > Retire ....... ? How the hell can I retire with challanges like this
> [...]

I'm figuring that they'll do what ever I say has to be done. I did the
parents house years ago. Did a full system, glass break, motions, full
contacts ....along with their audio/video in the family room and a
nice home theater in the basement with the motorized screen and
universal remote control for A/V and lighting. I could fit two of my
homes inside of theirs. The only time I ever go back is when they have
a low battery that needs to be changed. When I went for the
preliminary look at the kids house, the parents were there .... I got
a nice big hug from both of them .....so.... with that kind of
experience with the parents I don't think they'll be looking
elsewhere. But ..... hey .... ya never know. Just because people have
money doesn't necessarly mean they're  smart.

Merry Christmas Robert.