Re: Interesting

"nick markowitz" <nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:a86c2c31-bad3-42dc-987e-5dd6ae9af6bc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Dec 23, 2:58 am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 22, 10:21 pm, "ABLE1" <royboynos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Jim said:
> > Mine is practical and hands on.
> > I've always thought I would have made a good engineer, as I have this
> > automatic basic understanding of how most things work and I've always
> > had "good hands" . But .... some people just don't get all the
> > talents necessary towards their preferred endeavors. Me? really bad at
> > math. Just couldn't remember the formulas. So I stuck to the technical
> > end, and following the good advice of a mentor, I got into the
> > business end of electronics and used my innate knowledge of how things
> > work to out-shine most of the other people in sales and marketing.
> > Ultimately finding that I had a talent that had been hidden from
> > me ..... the gut's and ability to utilize all the things I learned in
> > big business ..... to run my own business. Took off the three piece
> > suit and have been crawling in attics and crawl spaces ever since. I
> > just have to know how every thing works and can be made to work better
> > or
> > how to fix it.
>
> > Geezzzz Jim, sounds like you have been plagiarizing my bio. :-)
> > Either that or we are clones. :-) :-) Except for the sound thing
> > you do, almost scary to think.
>
> > Les
>
> But, ya know ..... it took me a long ...... long time to realize that
> I can do things that lots and lots of other people can't do. For some
> reason, for a good portion of my life, I thought that just because * I
> * could figure out how things worked and was able to "fix"
> things ..... I thought that everyone could do that and that I was just
> sort of average. After lots of years and being able to make money
> doing what I like to do ... did I finally come to realize how many
> people just don't know how to do what I can do. And it's not only
> because they're not interested in it ..... they just really can't do
> it! People like us are not necessarily unique ... it's just that there
> are few enough of us to make it worth while.
>
> I realized this when one of my early customers said something to me,
> just off the top of his head.
>
> I had this kid working for me for a few months and he just couldn't
> get things straight. Couldn't remember where anything in the van was,
> Couldn't learn to strip a wire and so on. I was getting ready to tell
> him I was letting him go at the end of the week because I was begining
> to get angry at him. While on a job with him my customer noted that I
> was being abrupt with the kid and when the kid went out to the van, my
> customer asked me if I was having trouble with him and I used the
> opportunity to tell him all the things the kid couldn't do. The
> customer said something, very simple to me that just turned on a
> light. He said ..... Jim, if he could do what you can do ...... he'd
> be doing it.
>
> It was right then that I realized that I could do things other people
> [...]

I have to agree with you guys  I also can build and design and trouble
shoot  like no one else as well. But I also have all kinds of
schooling as well which allowed for the cross training. which includes
locksmith, plumbing, refrigeration, electrical wiring and electronics,
welding,machining  ,fabricating etc.  which allows me to figure out
things others can not. You also have to have the mind capable of doing
the research and study to get the job done as well.  So many want to
do a cookie cutter approach instead of  taking that extra step to
really look at a problem and come up with correct solutions . not
excuses.

LOL

I wonder what would happen if "us types" were in the same room
working on the same project??  Would we get it done or kill each other in
the process??

Another interesting concept.

Les