Re: equipment recommendation

"Robert L Bass" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:n_adnfOI7Ik88zDWnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> You need one zone per wireless transmitter so start with a minimum 8-zone
> system. Is there's any possibility that you'll want to add something else
> in the future, such as smoke detectors?

i recently had a run in with a local fire marshal.  see
http://CorruptionInBillings.com for details.  so long as the FD has
totalitarian authority to make up the rules as they go i will not be doing
anything fire related again.  its just not worth it to me.  that said, i did
not fail to see your point about future expansion.

> ELK Products makes a powerful IP-compatible system called the M1G.  I
> think www.smarthome.com still has it.  Check first because ELK has
> declared that they won't warranty systems sold online.  They may be OK
> with Smart Home though.  As best I know they're an honest vendor.
>
> Another option is www.NextAlarm.com.  They offer online monitoring and
> will sell you the system as well.  I don't have enough information to make
> a recommendation for or against them.

thank you, i will research them both.

> In addition to the monitoring via the Internet, have you considered
> cellular? That affords a lot more choices for the alarm system itself.
> It's also a bit more secure since there's no line to cut and it doesn't
> die with your router during a power outage.

this application is a rental house (hence the need for wireless) that is
located in rural montana.  most folks take cell service for granted, but in
rural montana you can drive for hours without signal.  this particular home
didnt even have an outside power source until a few years ago (it used to
run on generators and batteries!).  internet is provided via satellite, and
this is the ONLY option for a connection to monitoring.

Thanks much,

--
Nathan In Montana
http://BighornTactical.com