Re: Napco GEM-RP1CAe2 keypads

On Jan 23, 2:36=EF=BF=BDam, "Robert L Bass" <nore...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Jim" wrote:
>
> > Robert B =EF=BF=BD .....
> > I would really hesatate putting WD 40 on the Keypad. Kinda messy and I'=
d think
> > it would discolor the buttons a lot, and catch dust and debris from the=
 oil
> > residue. and if you only did it from the front, the way the keypad is
> > assembled, I don't think the WD would get to the back side of the memeb=
rane
> > either.
>
> What I've found is that about half the time it's from pressing and half t=
he time
> it's just dirt. =EF=BF=BDI would take it off the wall, place it face down=
 on a dry
> cloth, remove the backing and then squirt lightly around the edges. =EF=
=BF=BDIt took 2
> minutes and it worked most of the time. =EF=BF=BDIf it recurred I'd swap =
the keypad out.
> A lot of people only tell you about "occsional" problems such as a sticky=
 button
> when you come out for annual service or for some other work so it was a
> "freebie" timewise.
>
> > Ummmm maybe it would .... I don't remember now.
>
> One of the things I noticed about the RP1-CAe2 was if you don't make a ni=
ce,
> wide hole for the cable entry and the sheetrock so much as touches the ed=
ge of
> the wiring harness it will start to act up after a year or three.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

For a while .... I thought that it could be caused by a "draft" that
exists in some walls. As doors and windows open and close or the wind
blows strong, frame houses "breath". In days past, before fire
retardent was required in wire holes, it was more common that you
could feel the air coming out of the wall where the wire harness came
out. I started using insulation where I could and calking when I had
to. The insulation sometimes didn't work because the wall cavity was
empty so there was nothing to hold my insulation near the hole and the
clulking is difficult to apply so it seals the hole good and makes it
difficult to service. I found various ways to do it but eventually
through the years,  I found that even some keypads that I'd done that
way .... were still failing. I don't do that anymore but the keypads
don't fail that often, so I just let it be.