Re: Napco GEM-RP1CAe2 keypads

"Jim" wrote:

> If you still want to change the keypad, you should power down the
system first. There are two potential problems. The keypads can be
serialized and locked into a panel. That would have been up to the
installer to do .... or not to do. If he did lock it in, you'd need
the dealer programing code to get into dealer programing to unlock it.

Jim is correct.  The dealeer code is 6 digits long, printed on a label inside
the can. Look for a piece of metal that protects part of the main circuit board.
If the label is there, you can easily find out if you can get into system to
find the keypad lockout code.  Without that label you won't get into system
programming.  Most installers don't use the keypad lockout codes though it does
happen.  That's why you wast to know up front -- before you buy anything.

You can tell if the lockout code is in place by putting the system into
"Configure" mode.  This does not require the master code.  You just have to move
a jumper on the main board (this you can do with or without power the system
down).  In the upper, right portion of the main board is a jumper marked JP5.
It looks like a little black flag.  It's in the "run" position now.  Place it on
the "Config" position and wait about a moniute.  The keypad will say "Out Of
System".

Press 1-1-1-2-3-[FUNCTION]

The keypad is now in configuration mode.  You can view and write down each
setting by scrolling through them with the [FUNCTION] key.  When you get to the
keypad's lockout code page if it says "0000" you're alright.  You can replace it
if you like.  If it shows "****" you will need the system master code (from the
label in the can), a Napco PCI-MINI interface and the software to be able to
change the keypad or to do most any other change to the system.

I can provide you with the hardware (I sell Napco online).  The softwarte is
free.  So is my time walking you through using the software if you need help.

> Without the dealer code, there's no way to know if the new keypad will work
> until you try it. If it isn't locked,  it's just a matter of
exchanging wire for wire.

Also true.  In fact, there's a plug-in jumper on the back of the keypad.
Swapping the hardware is the easy part.  If you want to discuss it at length
feel free to call.  My office will give you my cell phone number if you ask.

> The other problem is ...... if the keypad is being used as a zone expander and
> actually what number the keypad is ... in your system. You will have to
> configure the keypad which can be done by you. But first you'd have to go into
> the configuration mode of your present keypad and copy down the info so you
> could program it into the new keypad.

That's true, Jim, but he can get most of the info from the keypad before
committing to anything.  I'm not certain it needs replacing at all, though.  I
agree about warn out buttons.  I've gotten an extra year or so out of Napco
keypads using a judicious squirt of WD40.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics