Re: Napco GEM-RP1CAe2 keypads

On Jan 22, 11:50=EF=BF=BDam, wallstreet123456 <szigg...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have 2 Napco GEM-RP1CAe2 keypads and I need to press the keys very
> hard for them to register on one keypad, the main one at our entry
> door. The system is about 5 years old or older.
>
> I would like to buy a new pad and install it. Can I just remove the
> old one and put in the new one or is there more involved?I would like
> to know the steps to follow to do this. Or is there something I need
> to do at the panel istelf in order to make this swap?
>
> Thanks or your help.
Keypads are kind of expensive, so if  you want to save a few buks,
just change the numbers in your code. It's likely a button or two has
worn out.
Try not to use a number more than once in your new code.
Keep track of your present number so that in the future, should this
happen again, you'll know which numbers you've used and which you
haven't.

If you still want to change the keypad, you should power down the
system first. There are two potential problems. The keypads can be
serialized and locked into a panel. That would have been up to the
installer to do .... or not to do. If he did lock it in, you'd need
the dealer programing code to get into dealer programing to unlock it.
Without the dealer code, there's no way to know if the new keypad will
work until you try it. If it isn't locked,  it's just a matter of
exchanging wire for wire. The other problem is ...... if the keypad is
being used as a zone expander and actually what number the keypad
is ... in your system. You will have to configure the keypad which can
be done by you. But first you'd have to go into the configuration mode
of your present keypad and copy down the info so you could program it
into the new keypad.