Re: ADT buys Broadview (Brinks)

On Dec 15, 3:13=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 1:19=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 ADT

> [...]
> > that decides where a trade goes in it's quests for recognition and
> > equalization among other trades. Through the years, this trade has had
> > ample opportunity to pull it's self up by it's own bootstraps and has
> > not done so..... due to lack of organization. The majority is out
> > there " being independent". Part of the reason this is so, =A0is why I
> > feel as I do about the NBFAA (who has recently taken on an alias ....
> > as well it should ) This is an organization that's been around for
> > over 50 years and hasn't done a damn thing to orgaize the massive
> > power that resides in the small and independent alarm companys.
> > Instead it has legioned with the big and powerful and hasn't
> > accomplished shit in making any headway towards ligitimatizing the
> > trade. The little guys far out number and out-install the Nationals.
> > They consist of thousands of voices yet they have no unified power.
> > The NBFAA has totally ignored this power and failed to organize it
> > through the decades, because ,in my opinion, they know that once they
> > give the little guys the power, it will be the demise of their cadre
> > of "good ol boys"
>
> > So it's not my "Total" opinion that each and every indepented it a
> > dummy ..... it's just that "apparent" attitude that is generated by
> > lack of orgaization, recognition and mandated rules ..... that
> > provides the over all picture of the trade as ..... inept.
>
> > My example that I've give here before is.
>
> > There were two doctors who met at a party and one asked the other how
> > much he got for an apendectomy. He said $8,000.00 .... why? How much
> > do you get. The second doctor says .... Well, I've only been asking
> > $5000.00.
>
> > The next day the second doctor would increase his price to $8000.00.
>
> > In the alarm trade, the first doctor would reduce his price to
> > $5000.00.
>
> > It's this mentality that degrades a trade and without organization,
> > training, and mandated installation codes (that it's obvious by this
> > time are never going to be self adopted by the "independents" ) that
> > needs to be put in place if this trade EVER wants recognition and the
> > power to govern it's overall direction.
>
> RHC: Damn! For once,you and I are TOTALLY on the same track ! =A0I feel
> exactly as you do about our version of your trade organization called
> CANASA up here in Canada. They are in bed with the multi-national
> alarm companies and only play lip service to the thousands of
> independants here (although they would be quick to take my money if I
> was foolish enough to offer it ). They are an "old boys club" too. It
> seems to be a natural tendency of all associations to end up that way,
> just as has TAOL (The association of Ontario Locksmiths), which I
> belonged to for many years, until they too showed their true
> stripes !
>
> Your reasoning is sound; however, I don't have a clue how to affect

In situations like this, going back for thousands of years, history
shows us that what usually unifies a movement is a hero who becomes a
sacraficial messiah.  ...... Ummm but for some reason I'm thinking
that ... that doesn't apply here.  Unless  you'd like to
volunteer.  ;-)

I would do it but in recent years I think my legs are getting longer.
It's getting so damn hard to get up from a kneeling position so I
don't think I could run with a banner.

I think that somewhere down the line, some far reaching law is going
to be proposed .... or .... some judge is going to set a precedent and
decide a case that pronounces the superceeding of the limited
liability clause in our contracts  ....... Something that will
profoundly change the entire industry ....  that will affect
manufacturers, along with big and small alarm installation companys
together. Something like this could unify the trade if there are the
right people, in the right positions who will take up the banner and
lead a crusade. It only happens occasionally and not always successful
but I think it will have to be something like this that will have to
happen that could ultimately lead to unifying the trade.

The NBFAA doesn't have enough pull to pull this off now because they
enlist only the larger companys which are comparitively few in number
compared to the independents. If they were smart ( yeah, sure) they'd
be doing everything within their power to enlist the co-operation of
the small companys, simply to garner their grass roots capability to
make things happen. But they're too blinded by the good ol boy razzel-
dazzel to realize that their missing the boat entirely. Let them eat
cake is their attitude. So .... it's been status quo for all these
years. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm getting nearer to the end of this every day. No more fight left.
I've been saying it for too many years to deaf ears. Most agree
but ............. it has never changed in all these years.

Where the hell is a messiah when ya need one?