Re: ADT buys Broadview (Brinks)

news:d2f49274-ca75-41a2-b360-4862c24b32e8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Dec 14, 8:22 pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 6:43 pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 14, 10:29 am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > RHC:No doubt; you tend to remember those who screw you...:)) Once
> > > this merger happens, there will be loads of people being screwed. ADT
> > > typically raids the resources of those whom they buy and lets the rest
> > > go as they did with the SecurityLink merger. There are loads of people
> > > at Broadview worried about their jobs, and rightly so.
>
> > > I spent most of my life inside a large corporate organization and saw
> > > firsthand what can and will happen. To my shame, I was part of it
> > > (although unwittingly in those days). Those at the bottom and the
> > > middle, who are the glue holding an organization together, will be
> > > largely sacrificed on the alter of "reorganization". Those at the top
> > > have the goal and obligation, to set things up for the best overall
> > > bottom line for the company. While the better executives will do their
> > > best to keep the pain to a minimum, bottom line, lots of people will
> > > be let go in the name of improved organization and profit ! Middle
> > > management has "fat" that can always be eliminated. Upper management
> > > too; however, no one there will ever "fall on their sword" in the name
> > > of improved bottom line...:))
>
> > > On the technical side, this will not be so extreme, since ADT is
> > > bringing on board loads of panels they know nothing about, and will
> > > need expertise to keep things running. At leaset initially, customer
> > > service will slip badly, leaving lots of opportunity for independants
> > > to target millions of accounts from both companies. Many Broadview
> > > dealers will try to jump ship as well, since this was not their
> > > agreement with Broadview.
>
> > If history is any guide, most independents will not have a clue about
> > setting up any type of plan whatsoever.
>
> > > The end result for us will be one mega-monster company to compete
> > > against rather than two. If independants do their job right, it should
> > > be a much easier market to compete in, given the failings of all large
> > > companies.
>
> > They wont "do their job right" because most don't know what their job
> > is to begin with. It will be business as usual.
>
> > > We have more to worry about on the short term from independant
> > > "startups" giving away systems to get RMR, not realizing until it is
> > > too late, they are largely cutting their own throats in the process.
> > > Up here, we are starting to see HVAC companies selling DSC wireless
> > > systems to go along with their HVAC services, under the guise of
> > > protecting customers against failure of the very systems that they are
> > > installing....??? Their pricing is ridiculously low, so I have to
> > > wonder how they will end up charging for service to make up the
> > > difference. Once the initial service term of 3 years is up, they too
> > > will lose large chunks of this business to lower priced companies,
> > > making them wonder why they got in this business at all.....:))

> [...]

Naw, I know what you're saying. To clarify my point, ..... Sure ...
there's a lof of "aware" guys out there but it's the mass majority
that decides where a trade goes in it's quests for recognition and
equalization among other trades. Through the years, this trade has had
ample opportunity to pull it's self up by it's own bootstraps and has
not done so..... due to lack of organization. The majority is out
there " being independent". Part of the reason this is so,  is why I
feel as I do about the NBFAA (who has recently taken on an alias ....
as well it should ) This is an organization that's been around for
over 50 years and hasn't done a damn thing to orgaize the massive
power that resides in the small and independent alarm companys.
Instead it has legioned with the big and powerful and hasn't
accomplished shit in making any headway towards ligitimatizing the
trade. The little guys far out number and out-install the Nationals.
They consist of thousands of voices yet they have no unified power.
The NBFAA has totally ignored this power and failed to organize it
through the decades, because ,in my opinion, they know that once they
give the little guys the power, it will be the demise of their cadre
of "good ol boys"

So it's not my "Total" opinion that each and every indepented it a
dummy ..... it's just that "apparent" attitude that is generated by
lack of orgaization, recognition and mandated rules ..... that
provides the over all picture of the trade as ..... inept.

My example that I've give here before is.

There were two doctors who met at a party and one asked the other how
much he got for an apendectomy. He said $8,000.00 .... why? How much
do you get. The second doctor says .... Well, I've only been asking
$5000.00.

The next day the second doctor would increase his price to $8000.00.

In the alarm trade, the first doctor would reduce his price to
$5000.00.

It's this mentality that degrades a trade and without organization,
training, and mandated installation codes (that it's obvious by this
time are never going to be self adopted by the "independents" ) that
needs to be put in place if this trade EVER wants recognition and the
power to govern it's overall direction.

I don't totally agree... I believe there is some truth to the statement that
the ESA cares more for the nationals than the small guys, and I think I know
why... It's simple math, take Sacramento, there is around 250+ companies in
my area, out of that 250 how many do you think belong to SAAA/CAA/ESA...
Here's a hint http://www.sacalarm.org/members.php and another hint
http://www.caaonline.org/regularmembersregions.asp ... The nationals & Large
regional players far out number the small companies... If the small
companies want a louder voice, then maybe they need to join to be heard...
You know the old saying, " Money talks, and Bullshit walks"...... Just my
1/2 cent.........