> > > Are you sure you're not Sicilian? You are thick as a brick ya old
> > > buzzard. I'm letting Mark explain it because the wife is still up my
> > > ass. BTW check my damn websites and give your opinion ya fucking
> > > canuck curmudgeon.
>
> > RHC: Thick?...no.....cynical...absolutely! In our industry, the
> > allmighty buck takes the place of the right or wrong of any
> > situation ! With total scumbag companies like Alarmforce pushing it,
> > why wouldn't I be suspicious right off the bat? Wait until this sh*t
> > comes south of the border, and you'll see..........
>
> > BTW, I think that person's name is Ron Weiss and I believe if memory
> > serves me correctly, the company was called something like "Monitoring
> > America"-
>
> This is my take on it.
>
> In inquires on this subject that I've made in the past, it seems to me
> that it's a cyclical catch 22 problem. =A0The objection is, that it
> requires more operator time which the central has to devote to each
> call .... the increased cost would have to be passed on through the
> dealer to the end user which puts the dealer at a disadvantage
> compared to the competition. Even if offered as an option, the end
> user will go for the less expensive route. The dealers don't offer it
> because they know the end user doesn't want to pay for it so the
> centrals don't offer it.
>
> In my opinion though ..... if the centrals could afford to invest in
> the process over a period of time, I think that eventually they could
> create another revenue source.
>
> This speaks nothing as to the actual value of "listening in"..... "two
> way voice"
>
> Would it actually cut down on false alarms? =A0I don't think it would
> have a substantial impact but it's just a guess on my part. But you
> could say =A0..... every little bit helps.
>
> Would it deter burglaries? I don't think this would be substantial
> either. Once the siren goes off, the sound of a voice may make the
> intruder move a little faster but ..... depends on the nature of the
> intruder and the circumstances of the intrusion.
>
> Would it provide a greater "catch" ? =A0Same answer as above.

RHC: Well, if push comes to shove, I have to admit my view of 2 way
voice is coloured by Alarmforce and their idiotic advertising. I can't
see how it would involve much cost at the monitoring station end;
however, I can see lots of opportunities for confusion unless the
operators adhere to strict "rules of engagement", any of which would
basically nullify any real or perceived advantage to it. At the alarm
system end, companies like DSC sell a small speaker that sits
alongside the keypad, and you simply activate it in the programming
options. I haven't priced it out recently, but I do seem to remember
it was pretty inexpensive.

I do know that Alarmforce have turned it into what they perceive as a
major marketing advantage. And their customers are well sold on his
rubbish !! They seem to honestly believe it when he peddles his
bulls*it..." if you don't use Alarmforce, you've wasted your money on
anything else". But I've also had other people mention the concept
right out of the blue as a pretty good idea for an alarm system, so
I'd really like to hear from a monitoring station about this.