Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

On Oct 8, 10:24=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 12:39=A0am, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Assuming you have a replacement board, I did everything in your list
> > above (except Paradox who has almost no installed base in my area) as
> > well as Moose, Napco, C&K, ITI and some crap Scantronics crap,
> > sometimes I didn't know what the existing panel was and in many cases
> > (such as Moose) replacement boards were either hard to come by or
> > didn't exist anymore, same with older Napco stuff.
>
> > Now it's easy to say replace the panel and keypads except in many
> > cases it's an old lady who loved that junky Moose Z911 system.....
>
> RHC: Ah yes....good point !.... I come across these sorts of
> situations as well. For me, the only solution to these situations is
> to sell the client a new board and keypad(s). If they don't want to
> spend even that cost, then I walk away...simple as that. It makes no
> business sense to takeover an oddball panel that you are going to have
> to service and support...it's more trouble than it's worth. Besides,
> it's a pretty good indicator of how much the client really values the
> alarm system, and can be an indicator of how long the monitoring will
> stay in place as well.
>
> I realize that working within the confines of a large company as you
> do, you may not have the luxury of "walking away"....so , yes, I
> definately see your point !!

My takeovers were done while I was with a small company, as far as I
know I was the only one in the area doing nothing but takeovers.

A number of them could have been walk aways I suppose but that would
have been surrendering to the challenge.

> RHC: Ah, as you know, the only way to do it in other than a "hit and
> miss" way is with the proper technology and the proper backdoor
> approach (a la Jim Rojas....)

Not really, there are other undocumented ways, depends on the panel,
also just because the installer code has been changed and the board
locked doesn't mean they changed the download code, keep in mind less
than 5% of installers actually download.

> RHC: Yeah, the older stuff gives me a problem as well. However, since
> I ONLY do DSC and Paradox, I have managed to accumulate dozens of used
> and serviceable boards of all different types (other types are
> referred to reliable small companies I know that handle that make of
> panel). That changes the picture for me. But I can certainly see the
> difficulties you must have within a large company, so lockouts could
> indeed be a reliable means of preventing takeovers in some situations.
> Thanks for the big company perspective.....:))

We don't do lockouts primarily to prevent takeovers, it's more quality
control to prevent people from sending on the wrong account number and
receiver number. You can get into the panels to program everything
else