Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

On Oct 7, 7:50=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 6:33=A0pm, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Well for one thing they have to figure out what the installer code is
> > which unless you have a lot of free time to punch buttons or know
> > someone who works at that company and is willing to share the code
> > which is highly unlikely. I had a massive list of lockout codes for
> > the Dallas Ft Worth area but I can still think of a number of
> > companies who's installer code I could never figure out.
>
> RHC: Mark, I am genuinely confused by your response above. There are
> only four possible situations unless some makes of alarms work in a
> fashion that is different from DSC, Caddyx, Ademco and Paradox.

> One, you don't have the installer code and the board is NOT locked =3D
> hardware default and reprogram

Maybe 20% - 25% what I used to run into

> Two, you don't have the installer code and the board IS locked =3D
> change the board and reprogram

Assuming you have a replacement board, I did everything in your list
above (except Paradox who has almost no installed base in my area) as
well as Moose, Napco, C&K, ITI and some crap Scantronics crap,
sometimes I didn't know what the existing panel was and in many cases
(such as Moose) replacement boards were either hard to come by or
didn't exist anymore, same with older Napco stuff.

Now it's easy to say replace the panel and keypads except in many
cases it's an old lady who loved that junky Moose Z911 system.....

> Three, you DO have the installer code and the board is not locked =3D go
> in and / or default, then reprogram
> =A0Four, you Do have the installer code and the board is locked =3D go in
> and unlock, then reprogram and / or default
>
> Am I missing something here...where does the installer have to spend
> time banging on =A0the keyboard other than on normal reprogramming ?

Thats one way to get the installer code, obviously you don't do it at
the customer's house, I've cracked several DSC boards by entering in
code after cide, it would take a couple of hours but when one code
could get me into several hundred Ranger American system's it was
worth it at the time

> ML: Actually that $50 IS a big deal, most installers don't carry extra
>
> > boards so they leave, order the replacement board then come back so
> > that often doubles or triples that $50.
>
> RHC: I know in a small business situation, a clear case can be made
> that the installer is not working very efficiently. Anyone going on
> site to do a takeover WITHOUT a replacement board is asking for
> trouble, and the resultant huge waste of time. In a large
> organizations such as yours, it's far harder to organize that, but
> it's still a waste of time unless you do.

See my above statement, many systems were no longer made or hard to
come by BUT even if it was a common system in many cases the takeover
is a panel the incoming company doesn't normally deal with so they
don't have spare parts. And in some cases they expected a quick
takeover but when it turned into something more it apparently wasn't
worth doing from what I've seen.

My guess is I did over 5,000 takeovers in 7 or 8 years