Re: OT: Feedback Extortion

"mleuck" <m.leuck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1408e743-42a1-45df-a70f-94b10e1ad51a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Jul 27, 12:20 pm, "Up Yours Jerk" <shaz...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "G. Morgan" <usenet_ab...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >>You wish. That does NOT even make sense. They buyer has done their part
> >>when the pay quickly and meets terms of purchase. The seller has not
> >>done
> >>their part until they have delivered a product with no surprises that
> >>meets
> >>their claims.
>
> > And if the product comes with no surprises and meets their claims they
> > should:
>
> > a) Leave feedback - to acknowledge the completion and outcome of the
> > sale
> > b) quit bitchin' because they don't understand 'why' the seller sent the
> > request for feedback. It's not extortion at all.
>
> Yeah whatever. Everybody sees things how they want to not how they are.
>
> It is if feedback is conditional. It makes a buyer afraid to leave honest
> negative feedback if its deserved.

* Its not conditional, it's never been conditional and someone
* isn't going to kill you if you post negative feedback

I have been reading this thread for a while.  Sounds conditional to me.
Extortion does not mean extortion on condition of murder.  For that matter
the courts have pretty welll established a threat need not even be explicit
for there to be a threat.  Coercion or extortion is not necessarily a crime
even.  That does not mean that positive feedback is not being extorted on
condition of feedback being left with an implication that negative feedback
might receive retaliatory negative feedback.

For instance I can extort or coerce you towards a certain action or remedy
of situation upon threat of legal action.  I can enforce that threat with a
subpeona.  Its not even a matter of how a court would rule.  Its simpley a
threat of forcing you to deal with it.  Perfectly legal, but still
extortion.

In this case it seems I have read that EBAY has a specific TOS against
feedback extortion.  I know I never leave feedback for people who
specifically state such terms even if their product is A+.  I don't think I
would have started a thread about it, but if I have to be threatened into
leaving feedback I'll just refuse and understand if they chose not to leave
feedback for me either when I refuse to leave feedback for them.  OTH, those
who quickly leave feedback and deliver what they promised in a speedy
fashion always get a good positive from me.

I have both bought and sold on ebay, and I would never make feedback a
condition of feedback.  Feedback is a condition of quality of product and
interaction.

Bob La Londe