Re: OT: Feedback Extortion

"Bite Me" wrote:

> I have been reading this thread for a while.  Sounds conditional to me.
> Extortion does not mean extortion on condition of murder.  For that matter
> the courts have pretty welll established a threat need not even be explicit
> for there to be a threat.

So what?  If the buyer wants feedback from the seller, he asks that the buyer
also post something about him.  This isn't rocket science (I had to throw that
in, just for old time's sake).  Either post some feedback or don't.  Either
way, you (or rather, the idiot who ordered it in the first place) got the
product.  If he wants the merchant to do something and the merchant says he
has to do something else first, that's not extortion.  The courts have not
established that asking for feedback before getting same is any kind of
extortion.  How ridiculous can this guy be?

> For instance I can extort or coerce you towards a certain action or remedy
> of situation upon threat of legal action.  I can enforce that threat with a
> subpeona.  Its not even a matter of how a court would rule.  Its simpley a
> threat of forcing you to deal with it.  Perfectly legal, but still
> extortion.

I agree that the above are legal but they're not extortion.  Here's how one of
the many online dictionaries defines extortion.

      1. an act or instance of extorting.
      2. Law. the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the
abuse of one's office or authority.
      3. oppressive or illegal exaction, as of excessive price or interest:
the extortions of usurers.
      4. anything extorted.

Note to Leuck:  There really is a 4 in our numeral system.
Note to MM:  There is also a 13.

> I have both bought and sold on ebay, and I would never make feedback a
> condition of feedback.  Feedback is a condition of quality of product and
> interaction...

Precisely!

--

Regards,