Re: BRINKS HOME SECURITY MAY HAVE DIRECT TIES WITH MADOFF

On Jul 1, 3:24=A0pm, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jul 1, 1:14=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I can understand someone that has been in the business for awhile as =
an
> > > employee being grandfathered in. But to allow anyone without experien=
ce
> > > at all to go ahead and BUY a license defeats the purpose.
>
> > > Florida is way different:
>
> > > 1. You must be a florida resident for at least 3 years.
> > > 2. You must show prior experience for a minimum of 5 years.
> > > 3. You must have an active corporation on file with the state.
> > > 4. You must show proof of general liability insurance, workman's comp=
,
> > > vehicle insurance, and a valid tax id & resale number on file prior t=
> > > being accepted to taking the exams.
> > > 5. Upon license renewal, you must take state required continuing
> > > education courses, and provide updated proof of insurance etc.
>
> > > This has just about eliminated all the fly-by-nighters here.
>
> > > Jim Rojas
>
> > RHC: One of the other things it tends to do is keep pricing higher.
> > With no trunk slammers giving away service, prices are going to remain
> > high.
>
> > I helped a friend down in Panama City shop for an alarm contractor. My
> > expertise came in only in so far as to know the proper questions to
> > ask about the contractor, the system and adequate design. The company
> > he chose did a decent job, using Ademco equipment (albeit with a lot
> > more wireless than I would have used, but then attics are no fun to
> > crawl around in....:((..) He chose a small company out of Destin,
> > Florida to do the job....
>
> > However, the final price was almost four times what it would have been
> > here in Canada for exactly the same system in our unregulated
> > environment here in Ontario......
>
> I doubt regulation was a factor in the increased price

RHC: Mark,  what would you say would be the reason for such a drastic
difference in pricing ?

It seems to me, with no trunk slammers forcing things to the bottom,
existing companies are only too happy to charge "what the market will
bear"  knowing full well that customers can't get lower pricing
anywhere else. Over time, this would certainly tend to keep pricing
way up there. True fair market competition has always tended to force
pricing down to more reasonable levels all other things being equal.
For example, here in Canada, cell phone pricing is astronomically
higher than in the US, due to lack of government regulation and an
inherent level of collusion between network suppliers. Suppliers claim
it is because of the unique geography of our country, but that rings
pretty hollow to most people. There is no real competition !!

With nothing to force pricing to more reasonable levels (competition
or regulation), the consumer is always going to end up getting it in
the ear, in the drive to "maximize corporate profitability"

Up here, there is always someone right around the corner giving away
alarm services, making it somewhat more difficult to charge a fair
market price (not impossible mind you, only needing a different
marketing approach to be successful.....)