Re: Monitoring Rates

Yes I take on DIYers accounts, but to be honest they are usually ones that I
usually helped along throughout the entire design/installation process.

I don't EVER takeover accounts that have equipment that I hate to work with;
I'll recommend replacement if it's justified or recommend another alarmco
and say goodbye. I'm going to one this afternoon, it has a panel that's 8
yrs old, another highly reputable local alarmco has been there already and
are perplexed and have walked on it. I don't like the panel that's there and
we already know it's old, there's a problem on the fire circuit, it's
probably locked and the home has been remodeled and partially rewired by the
dreaded electrician. I already *know* this will be a be a replacement &
remodel of the system.

--
**Crash Gordon**

"bit eimer" <bit_eimer.keinewurst@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Well that sounds fair enough - especially the last sentence. :^)
|
| I assume that same process would apply even to DIYs?  (perhaps on the
| condition you have a good "feeling" about the guy's competence on the
phone
| before-hand)
|
| TIA
|
| --
| ...The Bit Eimer     NAR 84054      L2
| "My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
| [remove keinewurst and reverse letters in domain to email me]
| --------------------------------------------------------------

| > Here's what we would do:
| >
| > Inform the client that we "may" be interested in monitoring/servicing
| > their
| > account based upon our inspection of the system. That there is a $xx.xx
| > p/hr
| > to inspect the system and that a portion of the fee may be waived if we
| > decide to do business with them (or vice versa).
| >
| > If they agree then we inspect the system and give them a proposal to
bring
| > the system up to our standards if need be - most of the time this is no
| > big
| > deal.
| >
| > Once in a while we the system is such crap that we walk away from it.
| >
| > Once we are engaged in monitoring the system we DO NOT ALLOW ANY
| > modification to the system either physically or programming by the
client.
| > If we should part ways...then we return the system programmatically to
| > allow
| > the client to fuck it up any way they please.
| >

| > --
| > **Crash Gordon**
| >

| > "bit eimer" <bit_eimer.keinewurst@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > |
> [...]
alarm.
| > |
| > | Hmmm, so what does that same "no-DIYs-here" monitor do when a client
| > appears
| > | who either wants to transfer from another service or has bought a
house
| > with
| > | an existing installation?  Does he
| > |
| > | 1) respond with "not interested"
| > | 2) inspect the installation for conformance to his standards
| > | 3) assume that the installation is acceptable
| > |
| > | It would seem #1 and #3 would be not in the monitor's best business
| > | interest.  OTOH, if he chooses #2, why would that not work for a DIY
| > | installation?
| > | The worst that can happen is that he says "oh crap, another fat
| > fingerer"
| > | and reverts to #1.
| > |
| > | BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative here (or trollish).  But the
| > | post-construction installations (ones with smoke detectors) that I
have
| > seen
| > | in our neighborhood don't come anywhere near meeting current building
| > codes
| > | (not that they are required to do so), so I am suspicious about what I
| > would
| > | be told I "needed" from my local vendor.
| > |
| > | Also, if I am being sold a system, I would like to be able to enhance
it
| > | with standard accessories in the future.  I shouldn't think this would
| > make
| > | it a DIY installation (or am I wrong)?
| > |
| > | TIA
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | ...The Bit Eimer     NAR 84054      L2
| > | "My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
| > | [remove keinewurst and reverse letters in domain to email me]
| > |
| > |