Monitoring Rates

Hi people,

I'm a newbie, playing with the idea of a DIY system.  I'm a bit confused
about the monitoring market - just saw a website for a monitoring service in
northern CA with various plans (around 8 different ones).

These plans each had an install-price and a monitoring fee.  Not
surprisingly, as the number of "included sensors" increases, the
install-price increases.  But what I don't quite get is that the monitoring
fee also increases.

Now in one case, I can see that the addition of cell-backup might increase
the monitor's cost (paid to alarmnet or whoever).  But otherwise, it seems
like there really is no difference in the service provided.

Is the monitoring cost variation due to:

1) attempt to recapture some portion of the initial cost the equipment base
2) higher average cost of maintaining that larger equipment base
3) assumption that the customer is willing to pay more (monthly) for
higher-end system
4) something else

TIA.

--
...The Bit Eimer     NAR 84054      L2
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"