Re: Monitoring Rates

bit eimer wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm a newbie, playing with the idea of a DIY system.  I'm a bit confused
> about the monitoring market - just saw a website for a monitoring service in
> northern CA with various plans (around 8 different ones).
>
> These plans each had an install-price and a monitoring fee.  Not
> surprisingly, as the number of "included sensors" increases, the
> install-price increases.  But what I don't quite get is that the monitoring
> fee also increases.
>
> Now in one case, I can see that the addition of cell-backup might increase
> the monitor's cost (paid to alarmnet or whoever).  But otherwise, it seems
> like there really is no difference in the service provided.
>
> Is the monitoring cost variation due to:
>
> 1) attempt to recapture some portion of the initial cost the equipment base
> 2) higher average cost of maintaining that larger equipment base
> 3) assumption that the customer is willing to pay more (monthly) for
> higher-end system
> 4) something else
>
> TIA.

1.  Take out your local yellow pages
2.  Call three independent dealers and request their rates for
monitoring & service
3.  Contact the local BBB and investigate your three choices
4.  Talk to your neighbors to see who *they* use and what kind of
service that get
5.  Make a choice.

Very few "online" stores offer a decent solution.  Most try to "nab"
your attention based on "the savings" you'll enjoy with the companies
(or company) they push.  Most professional monitoring stations will not
accept "DIY" clientelle because of the obvious risk inherent in having
someone that's not been properly trained "fat fingering" their alarm.
Often times the "local" company offers the best solution at a reasonable
price.  You shouldn't have to pay "extra" for daily tests.  My customers
certainly don't and our rate has been unchanged for as many years as
I've been running this business.  Our initial contract term is 36 months
after which the contract renews on an annual basis.  We haven't raised
our monitoring rates for ten years (and probably never will).  And that
is one aspect of any contract you should acquaint yourself with (renewal
and cancellation terms and the rate increases.  ALWAYS read the fine
print and never accept what a salesman "says".