Re: Non mains system

"Frank Olson" wrote in message

> Actually, the Hyksos had the compound bow around the time they invaded and
> conquered Egypt.  That was a bit more than 3000 years ago.

I did a little looking on-line and could not confirm that to my
satisfaction.  A couple sources make that claim, but the more reputable
sources seem to say the Hyksos had composite bows.  That is bows assembled
of more than one material.  Thye go on to say composite nows have been found
in some of the pyramids and tombs of Egypt from that time period and after.

Excerpt From Wikipedia re: Hyksos
They introduced new tools of warfare into Egypt, most notably the composite
bow and the horse-drawn chariot.

Wikipedia
A composite bow is a bow made from disparate materials laminated together,
usually applied under tension.

Wikipedia
A compound bow is a modern bow that uses a levering system, usually of
cables and pulleys, to bend the limbs.

I know Wikipedia is not always the most accurate on-line resource, but it
seemed to match up with the most other non-personal on-line resources.  Like
I said I did also find some resources that made the Hyksos had compound
bows.  I found that to be very interesting, and wanted was looking for a
picture or artist rendition of one.

Almost all reources except those claiming the Hyksos had one credit H Wilbur
Allen with inventing the compound bow, and patenting it in 1969.

Some excerpts from around the web:

During its long history, there was little substantive change to the physics
of its operation, before the patent awarded to H. Wilbur Allen in 1969 (U.
S. Patent No. 3,486,495).

The compound bow in archery was invented in the mid 1960s by an American
engineer named Howless Wibur Allen. In 1961 he got inspired by the then
launching of Hoyt Pro Medalist Bow. This bow was one of the very first to
have vertical stabilizers on it, and Allen had another idea to add to it-the
wheel. He harnessed the principle of the block and tackle pulley to the bow
and felt (correctly) that this would enhance a bow's performance. The
mechanics of the pulley system would, he reasoned, allow a heavier weight to
be drawn.

1969 AD - 30th. December - Holless Wilbur Allen is granted the patent on his
invention of the Compound Bow which he had designed 3 to 4 years earlier.
Mr. Allen was a keen bowhunter who was disappointed with the hunting bows of
the day and so decided to design a new type of bow for hunting. His original
design had 'wheels' that were triangular shaped.

I was very excited by the idea that the compound bow was 3000 years old and
did a littl research.  I'm open to to more information, but at this point I
am more apt to believe that is not correct, and that the Hyksos had
composite bows.  Not compound bows.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River