Re: Firewolf 4-wire Napco 816 gives E41

Total nerd wrote:
> Okay, now I'm totally stumped.
> I moved it to Zone 8 with the same problem.  I ran a new set of wires
> out in the open across the floor just to make sure I didn't pinch it
> anyware, same thing.  I installed a new "red-red-red" resistor, same
> thing.  I took out the resistor and labeled the zone as "no eol" but
> same thing.  I even tested the thing with a magnet -- it turned red,
> meaning it's working, but of course the panel ignored it.
> Now I'm just out of ideas?  I have the 12v power across power just
> like the manual -- plug #6 and the one directly next to zone 8, and
> certainly it's powered up.  I have it connected to zone 8 and the EOL
> is inline by plugging it into the smoke at the NO connection, then
> plugging the other end onto the yellow wire, which goes back to the
> panel of course, along with the green wire next to it at the adjacent
> terminal.  I even tried swapping them.
> Any ideas? ... maybe without getting too angry about semantics ...?
> =)

To TN: Sounds like you have the eol resistor in series. It needs to be in
parallel with the last smoke detector. Also you need an end of line relay to
supervise power.

To DIY everywhere: This is a perfect example or why you should call a
professional. Even with access to the manual, s/w, and correct advice from
pros here, this person still doesn't grasp the most rudimentary concepts of
wiring a smoke detector to a fire zone. Series? Parallel? What?
It's not rocket science, ya know.
js