Re: Difference between digital phone and VOIP

> On Jun 14, 6:49?am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Only in a cursury fashion to be quite honest. I am working closely
> > with a small development company in the process of designing an IP
> > communication unit called Lobenn. At the moment, they are going
> > through the lengthy process of getting ULC approval. I am one of
> > several alarm companies they interface with for information, trialing
> > equipment, and (in my case)  the loan of alarm panels.
> >
> > It would appear to be a decent unit; however, it will require a
> > specialized receiver at the station to transfer signals to the regular
> > receivers, so this may turn out to be somewhat of a "chicken and egg"
> > scenario. Big stations don't move too quickly, so it remains to be
> > seen about the "buyin".
> >
> > I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to this whole thing, since I
> > don't want or need technical problems of that nature haunting me and
> > my clients.
> >
> > RHC

> > > Bob,
> >
> Robert I'm going to give you a little help here
>
> The Lobenn unit will not allow you to down load. It also has some
> other inconsistancies which I cant remember what they are right now. I
> tested their unit some time ago and rejected it. They were telling me
> a year ago that they were going to fix all the problems and were
> seeking listing on the product and to this day, they haven't. They are
> a very small and new company and personally, I would not invest any
> time or effort in their product.

Actually you can download with it, any format seems to work and it will work
with 2-way voice

I've been playing with the whole setup for months. I never ran into any
problems other than some noise with 2-way voice but then again I've got v2
equipment so it sounds like they DID fix whatever problems you had?

> I havent used it yet but I understand that DSC has an internet/
> wireless communicator that seems more like what the industry is
> looking for. Only time will tell, of course. Although their receivers
> are top of the line, and popular with central stations, unfortunately,
> DSC is fighting an up hill battle, reputation wise, in the realm of
> installing companies.

That would be the GS3055, it looks interesting, as far as DSC's reputation a
lot of companies will go with them for the simple fact they are damn simple
and quick to hand program unlike umm.....heh

> Napco has a unit too.

StarLink? Played with that one too

> Here's another little tidbit. The new Ademco GSM radio, is a  ......
> get this now ..... a 9 volt unit and can't be powered from the control
> panel. How about THAT for engineering for the alarm industry?

Wrong, it's 9 volts to 16.5, it just originally came with a 9 volt
transformer, they will soon come with 16.5 and can be powered indirectly
through the panel using the included transformer in a daisy chain setup