Re: Takeover standards

tourman wrote:
> Point well taken. However, every alarm business does takeovers.

Agreed.  For your information we "take over" a fair number of systems.
90% are DIY'er nightmares or professionally installed systems that have
been "fat fingered" by the owner.

> They
> are a natural part of this industry where rates and service prices and
> quality vary all over the map.

A customer that's "shopping" for a better rate (or trying to get out of
an existing contract because he's been offered a better rate by someone
in the business of "take-overs) is a customer that I don't want.  I also
have no respect for a company that actively pursues "cherry picking" and
have never encouraged my sales guys to do it either.

> And with ADT being the biggest and the
 > most expensive company around, migration from their ranks is to be
> expected in large numbers after contract terms are up.

I know plenty of ADT and Chubb customers that have been their customers
for years.  If the attrition rate is as high as you suggest, then
someone at ADT in Ontario isn't doing their job.

> A good quality
> system takeover is a gift, and no company just walks away from it.

A "good quality system takeover" is more than just a "gift", Bob.  The
customers motives for presenting you with this "gift" must be more than
"I want a better rate" though, otherwise he'll be doing the same thing
again (only this time you'll be the one on the "short end").

> However, it is easy to buy yourself a bundle of trouble, and that is
> what my question is about.

It seems to me you already have a long list of things to watch out for.
  Good topic!!  :-)