Re: Al Gore where are you?

Robert L Bass wrote:
>>All this global warming talk assumes we are
>>on some peaceful, stable, benign planet and
>>that only humankind can foul it up, or save it...
>

> No, that is not correct.  Numerous mainstream
> scientific studies indicate that (1) climate change
> is cyclical with cycles lasting tens of thousands
> of years; and (2) the curret cycle has been
> significantly altered by human activity.  In laymen's
> terms, what was a very gradual uphill climb in
> average annual temperature has suddenly (in
> geological terms 100 years is sudden) become a
> much steeper slope.

So how are 'we' causing the same thing on mars?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

> This has been the concensus among virtually all
> serious scientific studies on the subject for years.

And any study that doesn't blame mankind for global warming is:

A) not serious
B) Doesn't get massive government grants

> On the other side are contrarian, outlier "scientists"
> primarily bought and paid for by industrial interests
> who claim that they have examined the same data
> yet see no problem.
>
> It is noteworthy that some of the same "scientists"
> who deny that industrial pollution is endangering
> the planet also stood up for the cause of such
> public interest magnates as Phillip Morris when
> they tried to quash government reports that
> smoking causes cancer and later, that second-
> hand smoke is hazardous.

Names?  Dates?

> Some of the same names crop up again in places
> like Klamath river basin where (with the assistance
> of a certain Republican administration) a bio
> disaster occured.
>

>>Some remind us that there have been climatic
>>fluctuations throughout time, and there might
>>be some variations that give us reasons to
>>quibble about it.
>

> There is a lot more than "some variations" and
> there's reason to do a lot more than quibble.
> Real scientific evidence points to a slowly
> building disaster which can still be averted if
> individuals and governments do something
> about it.  Alternatively, we can pretend it's nothing
> and leave things as they are.  We'll likely only
> see the beginning of what this causes.  Our
> children and grandchildren will pay the price.
> A few decades away there will probably be
> mass starvation.  Some estimates say that
> over a billion people will die from coming drought.

It would be more believable that mankind is causing it if the person
shouting the loudest actaully believed it himself.

His behavior shows he does not.  For him its a money grab.

> If you know anything about weather, you know
> that a 2º-3º rise in ocean temperatures can
> mean the difference between a season of
> several category 2 and 3 hurricanes and one
> with a dozen or more category 5 storms.  New
> Orleans was nothing compared to what will
> happen when a category 5 storm strikes Miami
> even despite the new construction codes.
>

>>I don't see it that way at all...
>

> That doesn't mean it isn't happening.  It only
> means you don't see it.
>

>>Where did man have a hand in any of these
>>events?
>>- Precambrian period (4.6 billion to 523 million
>>years ago)
>
> - Vendian period (523-543 million years ago)
>
>>- Both Precambrian and Vendian periods host
>>to at least one mass extinction each.
>

> The real questions isn't what happened 523
> million years ago.  It isn't even what will happen
> 523 million years from now.  The issue is what
> will happen in the next few decades -- perhaps
> the next few generations.
>

>>So boys and girls lots of things can go wrong
>>and plenty did go wrong.
>

> So that makes it alright to destroy what we have
> now?

Maybe if everyone in the world bought carbon offsets from Al...