Re: Per Hour Charge

"Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4513ea77$0$19745$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "rqo" <safetyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I'm curious as to the average "per hour" charge on a CCTV install?  Is it
>> by the individual job or is it by the complexity, etc.?
>>
>> Is that a legitimate question to ask an installer, "How much do you
>> charge per hour?", or is that just too open ended a question.
>>
>> My reasons for asking are for my own knowledge.  After internet searches
>> on most "per hour" occupations, this one shows up as anywhere from $15 to
>> $40 per hour.  Is that about average for an installer?
>>
>> Is there a different charge just to run cable?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> rqo
>
> It would strongly depend on the market.  I have always charged very well
> and used nothing, but top quality equipment.  As a result I could pay a
> very competant and profficent installer quite well.  Unfortunately I have
> been losing jobs to cut rate installers.  Installing cheap equipment to
> lesser standards and rushing through the jobs.  I am faced with a choice.
> Do the same, or don't get the jobs.  If I do the same I can't afford to
> pay on the high end of the scale.
>
> I do have a few clients who are willing to pay my going rate and use the
> equipment I reccomend because they have some knowledge and experience with
> me and my installs.  They KNOW my stuff works.  However its pretty darned
> difficult to build a business and train technicians, either new or
> experienced, to do good work on one job and barely works work on another.
>
> I would imagine there aren't many companies in the world paying $40 an
> hour to an installer.  I got offered a little around $35 once several
> years ago as a complete system integrator and designer, but not as an
> installer. Basically that is for somebody who can design and troubleshoot
> from memory and knowledge on-site and on-the-fly.  A person who can keep
> the big picture of large jobs in focus in the background while tracking
> every little detail of how and why up close on the task at hand.  There
> might be a few that make a little more, but not very darned many.  I
> decided I could keep doing that for myself and in the end I will own it
> all instead of doing it for somebody else.
>
> Realistically an "installer" probably won't make more than $16-$20 / hr
> and then only if they are very good, very fast, don't make a statistically
> significant number of mistkaes, and fix their own mistakes usually before
> anybody else even notices.  For the avergae puke the range is probably
> more like $11-16 with the high end being what he is worth with atleast a
> couple years experience.  JMHO.

As to what to charge.  I caculate the job out with a spreadsheet per device
and cable run and then charge $75 per hour with a fudge factor of about 10%.
I will be raising my hourly rate the 1st of the year.  Probably only to
about $80.  Just enough to cover the increase in insurnace and fuel I've had
to live with for the last year.  I calculate all jobs based on that rate
except if I have to do actual networking.  I double my time for that part of
the jobs so I can deal with paranoid IT professionals.