Re: Per Hour Charge

"rqo" <safetyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:CEFQg.8778$KR1.1588@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm curious as to the average "per hour" charge on a CCTV install?  Is it
> by the individual job or is it by the complexity, etc.?
>
> Is that a legitimate question to ask an installer, "How much do you charge
> per hour?", or is that just too open ended a question.
>
> My reasons for asking are for my own knowledge.  After internet searches
> on most "per hour" occupations, this one shows up as anywhere from $15 to
> $40 per hour.  Is that about average for an installer?
>
> Is there a different charge just to run cable?
>
> Thanks
>
> rqo

It would strongly depend on the market.  I have always charged very well and
used nothing, but top quality equipment.  As a result I could pay a very
competant and profficent installer quite well.  Unfortunately I have been
losing jobs to cut rate installers.  Installing cheap equipment to lesser
standards and rushing through the jobs.  I am faced with a choice.  Do the
same, or don't get the jobs.  If I do the same I can't afford to pay on the
high end of the scale.

I do have a few clients who are willing to pay my going rate and use the
equipment I reccomend because they have some knowledge and experience with
me and my installs.  They KNOW my stuff works.  However its pretty darned
difficult to build a business and train technicians, either new or
experienced, to do good work on one job and barely works work on another.

I would imagine there aren't many companies in the world paying $40 an hour
to an installer.  I got offered a little around $35 once several years ago
as a complete system integrator and designer, but not as an installer.
Basically that is for somebody who can design and troubleshoot from memory
and knowledge on-site and on-the-fly.  A person who can keep the big picture
of large jobs in focus in the background while tracking every little detail
of how and why up close on the task at hand.  There might be a few that make
a little more, but not very darned many.  I decided I could keep doing that
for myself and in the end I will own it all instead of doing it for somebody
else.

Realistically an "installer" probably won't make more than $16-$20 / hr and
then only if they are very good, very fast, don't make a statistically
significant number of mistkaes, and fix their own mistakes usually before
anybody else even notices.  For the avergae puke the range is probably more
like $11-16 with the high end being what he is worth with atleast a couple
years experience.  JMHO.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River