Fire Alarm Rant

We recently took over a building that had been "serviced" by a company kind
enough to leave a record of work orders inside the main control unit
(Mirtone 790) located in the parkade electrical room.  The property manager
gave them 30 days to fix the "trouble" on the system and then decided to
call us in when there was no response.

Here's what we found:

1.  The "parkade sprinkler zone" lamps were gone (there are two lamp modules
for every zone and both were gone leaving two empty socket connectors).
These were obviously removed by the brain-dead technician so he could
"source" replacements.  The common trouble lamp had been "on" for so long
(since August 2005) that it had burned out as well.  The common "alarm" lamp
was also burned out.  So we fixed 'em all and the "lamp trouble" LED turned
off (probably for the first time since August 2005).

2.  The two 12 volt 12 AH gell cell stand by batteries were split wide open
at both ends (sort of explains the "battery trouble" light.  Duhhhhh!  The
brain-dead tech didn't carry replacements but made a note on a service order
dated in May 2006 that "two 12v12AH batts required".  Go figure!!!

When I submitted my report (and invoice) and advised that the system was now
"trouble free", the property manager said:

"Oh?  The other company said that we'd have to REPLACE the fire alarm system
because they couldn't get parts for the old one any more.  Gee...  Maybe you
should look at a couple of other buildings we have."

There's a reason for the big smile on my face these days.  :)

Regards,
Frank