Re: Fire Alarm Rant

Been there so many times.

I was called by an electrician with a fire alarm license to fix an older
fire alarm system that used large slide in zone cards. I never worked on
this system before, or even heard of it. The previous company also wanted to
replace the entire system because the parts were no longer available.

So I called the manufacturer, and they confirmed that the parts were no
longer available. They switched me over to tech support. The tech support
guy was also their engineer. He was nice enough to instructed me on how to
fix the problem onsite. It turned out that all that was needed is a voltage
regulator to be replaced. So I went to our local Rat Shack and picked up a
couple of dozen voltage regulators.

I charged them 4K for the board repairs, and the 5 hour service call. Plus I
also repaired & tested all the other dead boards laying inside the panel.
They were more than happy to write me that check...That was at least 8 years
ago. To this day, the system has been working fine.

Jim Rojas