Re: Why?

alarman wrote:
> "Crash Gordon" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > It's fun ain't it?!
> >
> > I just finished working on a 15K sq ft (under roof) house with a buddy of
> > mine, they tried to pull the same crap on us..Do you know anyone would
> > could
> > do a house that size with only a 3 day warning and the insulators on our
> > tail? No freekin way. Ya know they wouldn't pull this crap on any of the
> > other trades! I hate getting the bums rush on jobs.
> >
> > Rise up mon! We gotta start walkin on this crap.
>
> I wised up a few years ago. Now I don't hesitate to refuse a job if things
> aren't right. About half the time they acquiesce, the other half they don't.
> js

A number of years ago I did about 150 homes for a builder. It wasn't
all THAT bad, thinking back. But but I do remember that it's the other
subcontractors that are the problem in that kind of work. The builder
was a high quality guy ......  it's just that when the subcontractors
screwed up "his" work, he had a crew of his men who would fix the
mistakes. Obviously, I was the only one who could fix, and had to live
with all the problems the subcontactors made with the low voltage
wiring. Also it was during the time that the "Free" alarm marketing was
just taking off and I was doing a basic system for an almost double
monthly fee. It wasn't immediate income, but it turned out ok
eventually, considering all the upgrades and follow up work through the
years since. Still have over 100 of the accounts, after all the fall
out. I wouldn't do it again though.

But at this point, I only work for the spot custom builders and
renovators and mostly only for existing customers.  As we all know,
high end is definitely better. These builders are ( not totally, but at
least more) cooperative and use better subcontractors than the multi
home developers do. They usually only have a project or two going at
the same time and are more conscious about detail because they're
building from architectual plans for people who have money,  who are
themselves paying attention to detail and are in daily contact with the
builder. In that house that I had the insulation problem, I have to
say, the drywallers didn't bury one wire. And I buzzed it out and no
wires cut either.

It's always good to get to that point when you can be picky!