Re: Why?

Russell Brill wrote:

> And they call us hacks.........

I just ran into something similar but I was in a position to give them
a little pay back.

Months ago, before the renovation began, I told the home owners to tell
the GC that I'd need at least 3 days and maybe 4, after the last
contractor and before the insulation was installed, to do the prewire
for whole house audio, with digital remotes, surround sound and full
burg and fire. Homeower had been great in keeping me apprised of the
progress of the contractors. Told me  when the new windows were
installed, so I was able to do some drilling and other things, so I
could get a jump ahead on the job. It was getting close for the last
contractors, (the radiant heat guys), to finish up and then I could
start the prewire. Three days before they finished, the home owner
calls and says the GC has the insulators starting two days after the
heating guys finish .... Is that enough time for you to prewire the
house?   I said no. Homeowner tells the GC, he says he's got to get it
insulated for inspection and if he doesn't do it then, they can't
schedule another inspection for two weeks. I told them I'd do as much
as I could before they insulated but that I'm not prewiring while the
house is being insulated and I'll finish after they're done .... but
I've got to remove the insulation where ever I've got to run my wires.
GC said OK. I told home owner, I don't think it's going to be OK after
he sees how much insulation I'm going to remove. They said ..... can't
be helped.

Well ....... lemme tell ya, you can't imagine how much insulation I had
to pull out.
I was pretty much alone while wiring and after the first day it didn't
look like too much was being removed. By day 2 ........it was ALLLLLL
over the place. And as you CAN imagine, I didn't use too much
descretion in what had to be pulled and what didn't. I was very nice
and stacked it in neat piles, so it wouldn't appear as if I was doing
it out of spite. After I was finished, a couple of days afterwards, I
got a call from the home owner with a message from the GC. He was
wondering when I was going to come back and put back the insulation.

Do I have to tell you how estatic I was  when I said to the home owner
to tell the GC,  I told him not to insulate and he insisted he couldn't
wait.  I'm sorry but I don't have the proper tools, staplers or
experience to install insulation and I have no source to get
replacement pieces that were torn. And I have no idea where each of the
different size pieces would fit ..... anyway. Oh .... and by the way,
have the GC call the insulators back in to foam up all the holes I
drilled. ( In this area, the insulation companys are responsible for
firestoping all the holes)

I DO believe somone became a little educated on this job.