Re: ADT Contract Language help.

ADT's go to market strategy has capet bombed many small dealers into dust.
The ones that have survived live nervously looking skyward at the ADT big
bucks bombers' bombay doors always dropping more money on customer
installation subsidization, thus ruining more future business for them. Some
small dealers that are on the wrong end of ADT's marketing largess post
here. You're not going to hear too many positive things from them about ADT
in this NG but I'll try to give you some. ADT is the big boy of alarm
companies. For large national customers they offer the advantage of a single
point of contact for multiple sites. ADT is in many cases one of the least
expensive systems to install (for the end user front end dollars wise). If
you want to be a customer of a company where you are always a number and
never a name, that is their forte as well. You sound proud of the choice of
a SafeWatch Pro 3000. I suspect that is some ADT OEM DSC product. There is
no way for you to know that is not at or anywhere near the top of the line.
Don't get me wrong, DSC (part of TYCO-ADT before the breakup) is a
mainstream product, but it is a Ford or Chevy, not Mercedes or Caddy. It is
not anti DSC BS I am spouting. I have spent days on end with DSC factory
(product not design) engineers on customer problems. DSC would like to be at
the top end because the margins there are so much bigger. That is ironic
because the guys at the top end would love to have the volume that DSC has
at the bottom end. Anyway, once a (your) system has been turned over from
the installation department  for service ADT dispatches technicians sort of
via the Internet. The technician that responds to your call is unlikely to
know you, or your salesman (if he is still around) or your system and will
be feeling time pressure from being managed to a fare-thee-well. He must
average 4 calls a day and is rewarded for doing more. An ADT contract seems
to be the company's weapon of choice for keeping customers. Some ADT product
like older Focus systems were completely proprietary to lock in customers,
but now it seems they have invested in lawyers instead. I know that sounds
like hyperbole, but I am being as accurate as I can. For a better look into
the belly of the beast find an ex ADT salesman. There are plenty around. Get
him drunk, buy him dinner or whatever. The stories he would tell you about
ADT would likely ruin your appetite, buzz or both. I am not being smug when
I say we literally have a company policy to get every ADT vehicle we find
broken down on the side of the road back in service. They are our best
unpaid sales force. No kidding! I can't tell you how many times I have gone
to a customer (I am mostly commercial now remeber) and only had to listen to
their 45 minute diatribe on ADT to get the business (once the ADT contract
expired that is). Since I look like Santa (in the off season) I guess I get
their trust easily (oh yes and having a page full of happy customers for
them to call as references helps too). No one here is going to generate a
profit from your business that I can tell. If you have questions about a
contract from ADT no one here (that I have heard anyway) is a memeber of the
bar, especially me, so no help is possible. Personally if I were in any way
uncomfortable with a contract I wouldn't sign it. ADT is not going to let
you modify it so it is a take it or leave it kind of thing. ADT may not be
around in its present form much longer. Sooner or later you have to make a
profit and ADT has been giving more than getting. It has broken up and the
dust has not settled on all of those changes just yet. Sorry some folk's
posts here left a bad taste in your mouth. I have found the indutry as a
whole works hard to try to take care of customers and their needs.