Re: How many service techs?

I can definately see your point here. It's very satisfying to be good
at what you do and just as important, to be known to be good at what
you do. These days I get a lot of satisfaction when I hear clients say
they've heard good things about my service quality etc. Most people
only say the bad things and the good goes largely unsaid.

Early on, I did a number of the larger homes, but dollar for dollar, at
our acceptable rate structures around here, I found that it simply
wasn't worth the time to do them. A while ago, one of my customers came
to me with the plans for a 8000 square foot mansion he's building, and
asked me to quote the security system. To make a long story short,
after all was said and done, I turned the job down simply because for
what I would earn at the prices around here, the time and driving
involved for a full weeks work was simply spent better elsewhere. The
company that I recommended that did choose to do it, came in only
slightly higher than my quote, but they have a large staff and are
simply better able to do it than my company of two people. If I had
messed this up, or not given the level of service the client expected,
it would end up as a blight on my reputation.

Since that experience, I've learned to pick and choose the jobs
carefully. You can't be everything to everybody. Super large homes are
not in my market niche. Nor are commercial accounts.

There is also another side to this issue for me. Tax rates are such up
here that beyond a certain point, you end up virtually working for the
tax department rather than for yourself. I've backed off work because
of it to such an extent that I only do enough work to keep the company
running smoothly and pay my son's salary. With over 1000 accounts, the
monitoring revenue is such that one of my greatest challenges is to
keep Revenue Canada's greedy hands out of my pocket !  Once my son
takes on the business full time, he can decide how he wants to take it.
Me ? I'm going to take it easy and start to enjoy life more.....

RHC