Re: How many service techs?

tourman wrote:
> Your post leads me to believe something that I have suspected all
> along. Full prices for systems in the US are considerably higher than
> we charge or can get in Canada. I know that is a generalization, but
> modifying a system for $2750 is about double what we can get for even a
> large system hereabouts even starting from scatch. I doubt that even
> ADT would charge those kinds of prices around here !
>
> I'd take that one too because the work would be well worth it at that
> pricing level.
>
> RHC

I'm finding that in recent years that more jobs are falling into the
$3000.00 and up range, just for security installs.  Then, on top of
security there's the possibility that one or all of of the following
things will be added ..... like ..... telephone, Cat5 LAN wiring, CATV,
intercom telephone, whole house audio, and/or surround sound and
entertainment system layout, setup and programing. Right now I've got
one house (I have no idea what the house will be worth when it's
finished) with 73 windows and 10 doors. In addtion to security, I'm
doing all of the above. Total job $13,000.00 and there will be some
overruns. Customer buys all the enterainment and audio hardware
himself. Only equipment I supply is for security and possibly the whole
house audio speakers.

Another home that's in progress is a $3.5 million home ( pretty high
price for around here, but it's not as big as the one above...... only
52 windows and 5 doors) where the builders alarm that came with the
house, consisted of 5 door contacts, two PIR's, two keypads, one
speaker on first floor in a 10,000 sq ft home. The homeowner told them
not to install the panel and keypads. I'm adding detection on every
window ( both wired and wireless) Doorbell intercom, various CATV and
Cat5 LAN, telephone, whole house audio and surround sound and
entertainment set up. I didn't have to break drywall up to this point
but now they want the whole house audio speakers in the ceilings, so
I've got no choice but to "notch" to get around the headers, to get to
the ceiling bays.  Security will total about $5000.00, the rest of the
job I'm pricing as I go. I figure it will land in the same price area
as the one above. It's a "smaller" house but since construction is
completed, there's lots more labor.

I have to say, however, if it wasn't for the fact that I've got a
sufficent number of accounts, at this stage, that these kind of jobs
don't do much to add to the equity of my company. These people don't
pay anymore per month for monitoring than someone with a $1000.00
system. But the challenge is super and the prestege of being chosen to
do these high end jobs, because of good referrals, is a great feeling.