Re: How many service techs?

Yes, I agree. I know that with 1000 plus accounts, mostly all
residential, 75% installed by us, a staff of two has absolutely no
problem with same day (or next day or subsequent days with customer
permission) response for service. And when the second "tech" is not
servicing, he is installing ( we try to keep it down to two installs a
week maximum), while the first "tech" (me) does the office work. And we
both answer calls from clients as they come in to either of our cell
phones.

Now if you're doing heavy commercial, or industrial, I would have no
idea what ratio would be applicable. However, my guess would be many
more techs would be necessary.

Also, my experience is that "takeovers" (done by either "tech") seem to
dramatically increase service time required per account (a good reason
to inspect any and all takeovers beforehand and reject the "rejects" so
to speak...)....I turned away two today !!

Lately, I've come to sense another "rule of thumb". The work necessary
to keep two "bad" accounts going is the same as the work to keep 100
"good" accounts happy.

Definition: Good account....pays bills, doesn't needlessly trip his
alarm, keeps his account calling list current, reads his friggin manual
before he calls, gives you enough notice of door and window changes
necessary, doesn't bring animals into the home before he calls you, and
who has a system that was installed properly at the beginning by a
professional in the business

Bad account...the opposite of all of the above and likely a whole lot
of other reasons I haven't thought of..

RHC