Re: Thanks for all the replies folks, a few more questions...

I don't doubt that Bass has been a person that you wish wasn't around. I
don't respond to Bass or his posts. A Liberal Democrat Yankee is hard for me
to take in general and Bass is no exception. Bass has his views and I have
mine. If he weren't trying to recover from his illness I might engage him.
Things being the way they are I thinks it best that I wish him all the best
and leave it at that. It is not just a matter of good taste or bad to make
some of the comments made. Even if Bass made comments you view as
comparable, if Bass told someone to drop dead he didn't say it while he knew
that person was having a heart attack. Get some perspective, destroying a
newsgroup doesn't equate in anyone's book to suffering an agonizing death.
Everyone comes from someplace. My reality now is watching a co worker just
34 years old waste away. I was there at his hospital bed tonight watching
his parents being so exhausted from being there almost 24/7 they were barely
able to bounce a hopeless blank stare back and forth to each other. Between
their tears and frustration they are glad to see anyone from work come by. I
am not a big prize for someone to have around, but I try to be there as one
human to another. I try and bring him special  meals and such so as I was
leaving tonight I asked my friend  "Can I do or get anything for you?" I
thought he would ask me for another lobster dinner, DVD or something like
that. Instead he said "Sure, I need a new spine because the cancer has eaten
through it, I need new legs because I can't feel or move them, and a new eye
because the cancer has taken the nerve as it has grown through it." "You can
take the pain away too and that's about all I need," he says. "I guess I'll
be here 'till I kick it." As I leave he says sincerely "Thanks for coming",
but there is a new strange inflection in his voice as if he suspects this
might be the last time we see each other in this world.
Isn't there at least a part of you that would give anything to turn that
around for him or anyone suffering like him? There is in me. That inability
to change anything leaves me paralyzed with sadness. I have seen too many
friends and family menbers pass this hideous way. Can you really hope that
for anyone else? If you do I feel profoundly sorry for you.