Re: Relocate Telco NID-newbie

> Technically then, from a signal standpoint,
> I would be OK to extend their drop, I just
> might get in hot water with my telco.?

Don't extend the drop cable.  That's a no-no, too.  Instead, if it's an
aerial drop, lower the strain relief by a foot or two and move the NID
inside.  As another poster already mentioned, the NID should be grounded to
the main electrical ground rod of the building.  Make sure you reconnect the
ground properly.  Note: Don't splice the ground cable.  If you need a longer
run, use a new cable.  #12 copper with a green jacket is the usual stuff.

> BTW, they won't touch anything without me
> paying dearly for it (unless I have no signal.)

That's how it is here in Florida and where I worked in Connecticut for 24
years.  I always moved the NID's myself and never had any problems with the
telco.  Their techs sometimes whine about it but they never do anything
about it (though technically they do have the right to make you pay for them
to fix it if you screw it up).  They won't cancel service -- you're worth
more money to them as a customer than as one more ex-client using VoIP.  :^)

> I called about getting my NID updated (mine
> must be from the 70's) and they said I would
> need to put in a work-order, not a repair-order
> and pay $35/1st 15 minutes and $12/per 15
> thereafter + hardware to have the work done.

The last time I checked on a customer's behalf in CT was something like 10
years ago.  At the time the telco (an outfit called SNET) was charging a
flat fee of $100 to move the thing.  It was usually a 20 minute job.

> This lead me to my search for good NID enclosures (anyone heard of
> http://suttleonline.com ?)

Suttle is one of the top makers of telco connection and outside plant
equipment.  Here's their page on NID stuff, etc.
http://suttleonline.com/trad_nwifcdev.html

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass