Re: Bob LaLonde and/or Bob Campbell

> Any reputable mesh jacket will do.  Fit is more
> important that style.  First Gear, Fieldsheer, Joe
> Rocket, Olympia and others all make good gear.
> Get to a bike shop and try it on.  Size tend to run
> small.  Most have a liner which will be more
> than enough for you in FL.

Thanks, C.  I'll be trying on stuff at the cycle shop around the corner
tomorrow morning.

> In FL look at flip front helmets or 3/4 helmets
> for cooling.  Any major brand will do as long as
> it fits correctly.

The one I have is a good one -- full face with flip up.  It keeps the face
warm at night but strangely enough wind noise is greater with the shield
down than up.  Some genius added a couple of operable vents on top and
another in front of the chin.  They work rather well.  The fit is snug all
around but not *too* tight anywhere.  I like it so much I'll probably buy
another and bring it to Brazil to replace the one I use there.

> Lose the utility boots, the laces are more dnagerous
> than you think.  Wellington/Engineer boots, western
> boots, or made for purpose M/C boots.

My ride is actually a scooter (a somewhat large one but it's still a
scooter).  My feet are nowhere near any moving parts.  In that light, is
there yet a danger to the laces?  If so, I don't mind buying new riding
boots.

> The latter can be had for ~$100.  Try www.newenough.com

I found those guys on a Google search for jackets.  Looks like a decent
operation.  Thanks for the referral.

>> What do you guys use for torso protection?  Do you
>> consider denim pants sufficient for the legs and butt
>> or should I get "armored" stuff?  The weather here is
>> usually quite hot so I'll be looking for a vented or
>> mesh jacket.  What about the slacks?
>
> Mesh gear from the vendor or your choice THAT FITS.
> Fieldsheer runs a little larger than others.  I have mesh
> pants I wear on serious rides, around town its jeans and
> MC boots.

Your comments echo those of Bob C and a couple of other folks.  I'll
definitely make sure the fit is right.  Unfortunately, since I'm still
losing weight (down to 200 lbs now and heading for 180), I might end up
having to buy jeans all over again in a month or two.  :(   Do you agree
with Bob on the Draggin Jeans?  I've heard from others as well that those
are good.  Any experience with the line?

>> I've already signed up for the MSF course and added the Burger to my auto
>> policy.  I know you guys have been riding a long time.  Any advice will
>> be appreciated.
>
> Good call on MSF.  I personally thing the Burgie is
> over rated and that a used PC800 is a better deal,
> your money, your call

That may very well be true.  I like the look and feel of the Burgman though.
It wasn't too expensive either.

>> One last question.  I notice some riders drop their
>> left hand and point two fingers to the pavement as
>> they pass.  Any idea where that came from?
>
> Its called waving to fellow riders.  Its a polite
> greeting, so wave back.  Not all of us point to
> the ground.

I usually wave back if I see it before they're past me.  I also nod to
riders at lights.  I had some fun with one guy though.  A sport bike (make
unknown) and a HD with it's front wheel way out in front were stopped at a
light when I pulled up.  I nodded and the sport bike rider responded.  HD
rider sort of sneered at the scooter.... so I dusted him when the light
changed.  :^)