Re: Ademco 50P - Unable To Disarm

Don said:

>Building on suggestions here, I today disconnected only one of the 7
>keypads before powering up with the above results.  Tomorrow, I will
>take down all but one and do the incremental add.  Problem is that this
>is a two-person job because the panel is quite distant from the keypads
>and that alarm goes off about three minutes or less after boot up!

No.  You do not need two people.  Go to the panel and remove all of the
keypad wiring.  Then physically remove one of the keypads and carry it to
the panel.  Use a short piece of wire to connect it to the panel.  Power up
the panel, set the keypad address to "00" and wait for that startup delay
to expire.  One of two things will happen:  either the keypad will work
properly, or it still won't work.  If it still doesn't work, you are right
there at the panel and can disconnect the power.  In which case, I'd try
one of the other keypads, just on the off chance you picked the bad keypad.
The purpose of this test is to see whether a bad keypad, or bad wiring, is
corrputing the data stream.  That is why you must disconnect all of the
keypads and all of the keypad wiring.

In answer to your question about zone 7, ignore that for now.  Your real
problem is finding out why the system won't disarm, and a fault on zone 7
won't affect whether you can turn the alarm off with the proper code.

Wait a minute, I think I just figured out what your problem is.  You said
that you are using the "master code" to arm and disarm the system.  If you
mean you are using the installer code (location *00), you shouldn't do
that.  The installer code only disarms the system if that code was used to
arm the system, and your system is coming up armed on power-up.  Therefore,
it may not disarm with the installer code.  I've never had occasion to test
this, but it's a good guess.  Here's how to fix it:

Go into programming and set location 28 to 0 (power-up in previous state).
This will make the panel come up disarmed when you exit programming, or
when you restore power.  Then program in a user code, different from the
installer code.  Try this before you start moving keypads around.

- badenov