OT: Bob LaLonde and/or Bob Campbell

Completely off-topic stuff follows.

In relatively short order I got used to driving a little Yamaha in Brazil.
Back in Florida I just picked up a 2006 Burgman 650.  The Burger is capable
of highway speeds and then some.  For now I'm just riding around town and to
the beach but I plan to travel with it as well.

Now comes the quandary.  I need protective gear but I'm not familiar with
the various brands.  Some folks swear by Joe Rocket jackets; some say First
Gear and still others say any leather jacket is fine.  I already have a
Snell / DOT rated full face helmet and steel-toed, over-the-ankle boots.

What do you guys use for torso protection?  Do you consider denim pants
sufficient for the legs and butt or should I get "armored" stuff?  The
weather here is usually quite hot so I'll be looking for a vented or mesh
jacket.  What about the slacks?

I've already signed up for the MSF course and added the Burger to my auto
policy.  I know you guys have been riding a long time.  Any advice will be
appreciated.

One last question.  I notice some riders drop their left hand and point two
fingers to the pavement as they pass.  Any idea where that came from?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics