Re: Bob LaLonde and/or Bob Campbell

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:iJ2cg.5995$ix2.3418@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Completely off-topic stuff follows.
>
> In relatively short order I got used to driving a little Yamaha in Brazil.
> Back in Florida I just picked up a 2006 Burgman 650.  The Burger is
> capable of highway speeds and then some.  For now I'm just riding around
> town and to the beach but I plan to travel with it as well.
>
> Now comes the quandary.  I need protective gear but I'm not familiar with
> the various brands.  Some folks swear by Joe Rocket jackets; some say
> First Gear and still others say any leather jacket is fine.  I already
> have a Snell / DOT rated full face helmet and steel-toed, over-the-ankle
> boots.

Any reputable mesh jacket will do.  Fit is more important that style.  First
Gear, Fieldsheer, Joe Rocket, Olympia and others all make good gear.  Get to
a bike shop and try it on.  Size tend ti run small.  Most have a liner which
will be more than enough for you in FL.

In FL look at flip front helmets or 3/4 helmets for cooling.  Any major
brand will do as long as it fits correctly.

Lose the utility boots, the laces are more dnagerous than you think.
Wellington/Engineer boots, western boots, or made for purpose M/C boots.
The latter can be had for ~$100.  Try www.newenough.com

> What do you guys use for torso protection?  Do you consider denim pants
> sufficient for the legs and butt or should I get "armored" stuff?  The
> weather here is usually quite hot so I'll be looking for a vented or mesh
> jacket.  What about the slacks?

Mesh gear from the vendor or your choice THAT FITS.  Fieldsheer runs a
little larger than others.  I have mesh pants I wear on serious rides,
around town its jeans and MC boots.

> I've already signed up for the MSF course and added the Burger to my auto
> policy.  I know you guys have been riding a long time.  Any advice will be
> appreciated.

Good call on MSF.  I personally thing the Burgie is over rated and that a
used PC800 is a better deal, your money, your call

> One last question.  I notice some riders drop their left hand and point
> two fingers to the pavement as they pass.  Any idea where that came from?

Its called waving to fellow riders.  Its a polite greeting, so wave back.
Not all of us point to the ground.