Re: Relocate Telco NID-newbie

> Alright, so no extending the drop.  I guess I
> am out of luck then on relocating the NID.
> It is currently mounted about 12" off the
> ground with no options for recapturing slack
> in the drop to move it anywhere that makes
> sense.

If it's an aerial drop you can still relocate it.  Just bring the strain
relief down a coule of feet and move it inside the wall.  As an anonymous
poster already mentioned, you don't need to put the NID at the alarm panel.
Just move it into the basement or crawl space and run an inside cable from
there to the RJ31X jack at the alarm box.

> That leaves me  with upgrading the NID itself
> and securing the cables with conduit.  Thanks
> for the input and reinforcement regarding Suttle.

You can and should "harden" the line by running it through galvanized,
threaded pipe.  Alternatively, you can use a product from C&C called a
VoiceLok.  That's a heave gauge steel cabinet and cable protector designed
to bolt to the wall covering the NID and the aerial drop.

If the drop is underground (something the telco's curiously refer to as an
"underground aerial":)), you can bring it into the basement below grade and
completely hide the whole affair.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass