Re: Ademco Vista-15 Install Manual

> Exactly. So, you don't think a short can happen in an alarm panel? Man I
> wish I had saved the last semi-exploded battery I removed from an old
> neglected system a few months ago.

I believe you, Crash, but in my experience the panel never has
gotten anywhere near hot enough to ignite paper.  Even if the
battery were to rupture, it still wouldn't heat up enough to
ignite paper.  In fact, I cut open an old gel cell once (don't
ask why).  The material inside didn't flow out.  It's a thick,
gelatinous stuff.

And yes, wires inside a panel can short.  The result is an
instantaneous blown fuse.  Battery leads won't short unless you
do something really bad and if you do it will be with the panel
door open and the tech standing there (looking really
surprised:)).

BTW, I don't know what other folks do but I've always wrapped
battery terminals with a layer of tape, the same thing I did to
screws behind keypads and stuff, to prevent an accidental short.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.